40

Before this chapter starts, I just want to say that I am not a medical professional. Please don't treat this rationally, this is a fictional story and in this fictional story this is the only way that it will work. So while it might not be real life accurate, pretend it is lmao

Ryder's POV

The second I walked into the room, my jaw dropped. My heart fell to my stomach as I felt the blood drain from my face.

For a while I only have the strength to stare.

I watch as my mom's chest heaved up and down due to the tube shoved down her throat. IV's and wires dug into every piece of exposed skin on her body.

Her usually tanned skin was now as sickly pale color. The once silky hair she had now looked like a brown, greasy, rat's nest.

I haven't been able to visits her as often now that I had a job, along with all of the things that happened these past few weeks but usually when I came to visit I was the one helping her out.

She never could stand for her hair to be a mess so every day I came I took care of it for her. It wasn't much but I also wiped off her face, neck, and arms with a wet rag to make sure she wasn't covered in layers of dust.

But now that I hadn't come to visit as often, she looked nothing like she had when I first started coming. Was the hospital really treating her like this? Did they really not think they had deserved a rag bath and a hair brushing?

Even that was just the bare minimum. Before I left for came and she got bad like this I would come in and do her nails and make up if she was awake and up for it.

I didn't like the way she looked now.

I jumped when a hand was placed on my shoulder. My heart slowed when I looked up and saw Callum staring down at me with that loving look he always seemed to have when he looked at me.

Liam and Jax stood behind him wearing the same expression while they both grabbed one of my hands.

"I'm going to go find her doctor," Callum whispered as he squeezed my shoulder. "He will be able to tell us more about what happened." I only nodded as I let my eyes fall back onto my mom.

Callum's hand slowly left me but Liam and Jax's grip only tightened.

"Give me your bags. I'll go put them down," Jax said as his hand trailed down to the straps of my bag while his other hand did the same for Liam.

"Do you want to sit down," Liam asked now that Jax was a bit farther away. I only nodded as I gripped his hand tighter and pulled him closer to the bed.

A chair already stood at the right side of the bed so I forced Liam into it before sitting down on his lap. His arms wrapped around my waist while his chin rested on my shoulder.

"I should have a brush in my bag," I said to Jax as I stared at her hair. It physically hurt to see her in a mess like this. "Will you give it to me real quick?"

"Of course," he said with a small smile as he started rummaging though the bag.

Seconds later he was placing the black brush into my hand before kissing my cheek gently.

My hands moved to make sure all of her hair was going in the same direction before I made the brush comb through the tangled hair. Every time the hair got hung up I pulled the brush out before starting again at the roots.

I barely have time to get half of the hair untangled before Callum walked back in with the doctor in hand.

"I assume you are Ryder Mason," the man asked as he walked in and checked over my mom's chart. "I'm doctor Weston, I've been treating your mom for a while now while you were away, now that you are here and of age, you will be making all of her medical decisions from now on."