A Coffee Talk, a Slam Dunk, and Lasagna

After a while, the Novella parents offered Kanan a coffee and chat - the kids off playing basketball and Onthant still occupied with the broken car. The Jedi found himself in their kitchen, sitting at the dining room table as he made conversation with the two.

He knew that Athena was reluctant to tell him about much at all. He hardly knew anything about his sister.

These people seemed to have known her for much longer.

He knew he shouldn't snoop - but he wanted a better understanding. He wanted to dive a little deeper into his sister's past.

Knowledge of the past can help open the doors of the future, after all.

Pastor Novella handed him a mug filled with a dark drink with an eerily similar smell to his galaxy's caf. He took it in hand and nodded. "Thank you, Pastor."

"Call me Richard. Service is over," the man assured as he took a seat across from Kanan and next to his wife.

"Thank you, Richard," Kanan nodded. "For everything."

"Oh, you mean the garage? We hardly use it as is," Janet assured.

"Not just that," Kanan said. "Athe- Abigail...she doesn't talk to me alot about the past. She doesn't like many people - let alone trust them. She seems to have good feelings for your family."

The man named Richard let out a chuckle as he glanced down to the table. "That girl, she's been through it all right."

"She...hardly opens up to us about her past," Kanan admitted. "I don't pry. I know it's best for her to handle her emotions at her own pace, but I have to admit, it's hard to work with her when I know just about nothing about her life during foster care."

Janet nodded, "She never told us either. We heard everything through the grapevine."

"And every part of her story is worse than the last," the Pastor let out a deep sigh, exhausted at even the thought of the orphan girl's story. "The Lord dealt that girl a rough hand in life."

Janet scoffed in sadness and disgust as she reminisced. "Her foster mother's death anniversary is coming up, isn't it? January 1st?"

Richard nodded, "Same day as her birthday."

"She...mentioned that to me, surprisingly," Kanan admitted. "Said she moved from New York after it was found she was not guilty of murder."

"Murder? Honey, Abigail watched her mother kill herself," Janet was wide-eyed.

"Yeah, she told me it was suic- wait, she watched it?" Kanan was wide-eyed now as well.

"Her foster mother shot herself in front of Abigail, then the poor thing was accused of murder," Richard said in solemness. "To add to it, she got shipped off to Cleveland afterward. Ripped out from everything she ever knew."

"She found a really nice family to take her in when she got here...then..." the woman twisted and turned her hands as she looked down to the floor.

"They all died in a fire. Abigail was the only survivor," the man let out a heavy sigh. "What was even worse was the fact she had grown so close to that family."

"That's how we met her, actually," Janet seemed to sniff down a tear. "A little even year old girl who was about to be adopted by the Garcias - a lovely little family who came to service every Sunday. Six months later..." she let out a shaky breath. "She was singing the most beautiful 'Amazing Grace' my ears have ever heard at their funeral."

Pastor Novella shook his head, "We tried to adopt her, but we weren't allowed. By law, we need a separate room for a child if they're of a different gender than our current child. We only have a two-room house and can't afford to move."