Chapter Twenty-Five

| MORTIFIED |

ONE YEAR

JANUARY 1, 2015

Bucky continued to watch the fireworks in the sky with Cassie still leaning up against him. He slightly had his arm warped around her waist. But his attention was pulled from the fireworks by Cassie slightly stirring and whimpering in her sleep.

He knew she was having a nightmare, he knew what having a nightmare looked like. He had often woken up to her screaming in her sleep. And when it happened to him, Cassie would wake him up. And he did the same. 

This time seemed no different, so he gently shook the girl awake. "Cassie, come on. You need to wake-" He was cut off by the woman launching at him.

He lay on his back on the cold snowy roof with Cassie- No, this wasn't Cassie. This, this was The Phantom Fox. She was stuck in her nightmare. Her eyes were glossed over but also were cold and dark. Her face held no emotion, it was blank and emotionless. 

"Cassie, come on. It's me, Bucky." Bucky held the woman up by her shoulders while she tried to punch him. 

Her eyes went darker when he tried to talk to her, eventually, Bucky pushed her off him. She slid on the snow submerged roof on her knees. She held her right hand on the ground, her metal finger leaving marking in the roof.

She stopped in a superhero landing pose, one leg outstretched while the other was crouch underneath her. Out hand was held behind her in the air while the other was in front of her to keep her balanced.

Bucky stood up looking at her, and she slowly stood up facing him. Slowly a dagger was formed in her hand. Bucky knew that he'd have to knock her out if he wanted to get out of this alive. And bring her back to normal. 

The two ringed each other looking at each other Cassie have a cold expression, while Bucky just having a concern. Cassie swung first, she used her left hand to swing at the man, but when he caught her wrist, she used her leg to kick his knee. 

As he buckled over, he threw the woman over his head. She landed near the edge of the building, Bucky nearly having a heart attack when he saw how close she was to the edge. But then he reminded himself that she would survive the fall. Or else she would catch herself before she fell. She landed perfectly on her feet, elegant as always. And again in a landing pose.

When he stood back up, he didn't have a second to think before she propelled at him again. She swung her dagger at his neck, but he caught her hand, when he did Cassie turned around and threw Bucky over her head. 

Like Cassie, Bucky landed in a fighting pose as well. While he was down, Cassie had a hallucination of herself. She was stood behind the large air ventilation box on the apartment roof, her back pressed against it so he couldn't see her.

Bucky had no idea that he was fighting a hallucination, he was so stuck with the hallucination, that he didn't notice the woman sneak up being him and jump on his back. She kept a firm grip around his neck, not letting go. So he roughly grabbed her bicep from behind and threw her over his head. Hoping that it might knock her out if he was rough.

"Cassie, come on. It's me. Bucky." He told her while she began to stand up again.

"I don't know a Bucky." She spat, her English accent rolling off her tongue while she spoke.