Chapter Thirty-One

| A BIG SOFTIE |

FOUR MONTHS LATER

Bucky had Cassie pulled to his chest while his head was nuzzled into the crook of her neck while the two spooned. But soon shot up with a gasp, surprisingly not waking up the redhead who was laying on her side. Bucky propped himself up with his elbows while he tried to control his breathing.

He could feel his heart rate going unnaturally fast in his chest and could hear the light patter of rain hitting against the windows. He would've just pulled Cassie back into his chest and went back to sleep, but his breathing wasn't calming down. 

And after the nightmare he had gotten, he just didn't want to go back to sleep just yet. "Babe." He whispered somewhat shaking her shoulder. "Are you awake?" He questioned after he detected her sigh in through her nose and mumbled stuff in her sleep.

She looked over her shoulder, she slightly squinted her eyes trying to see the man in the dark. If there wasn't newspaper coving the windows, maybe there would be a tiny bit of light coming in.

But when she heard him breathing heavily she fully turned around so the two were now on their sides facing each other. "Yes, Buck?" She softly whispered,

"Hey." He sighed before he ran his metal hand over his face to try and cool it down.

"Hey, is everything okay?" She intertwined their finger together as she tried to make out his facial features in the dark.

"I'm sorry." The brunette whispered, he didn't want to wake her from her sleep, but he just didn't want to be awake on his own.

"You don't have to be sorry, Jamie." She used his favourite nickname hoping it would at least cheer him up a tiny bit. She didn't see the small smile growing on Bucky's face when he heard the nickname coming out of her mouth.

But it soon dropped when he remembers the nightmare he had just gotten, "Oh my god."

"Can you tell me what's wrong, Jamie?" She rubbers her thumb over Bucky's metal knuckle, not that he could feel it.

"Bad dream." He sighed before the redhead pulled her hand away from Bucky's metal one and placed it on his cheek. The three cold fingers cooled his face down again. And Cassie mentally reminded herself that she needed to tell Bucky to shave his face again. 

"Oh baby, I'm so sorry." The redhead gently combed her fingers through his long hair that she'd pull into a small bun for him while he slept. "Come here." She pulled him closer and he hides his head between her neck and shoulder. Leaving a few soft kisses on her neck now and then.

"Sorry." He mumbled against the skin on her neck before he tightly wrapped his arms around Cassie's waist while she had hers around his torso. "I just..." He trailed off, trying to not think about it. "I thought... I thought you were... I thought you were in danger." He sheepishly admitted.

"Hey, I'm right here with you. I'm not going anywhere. It's just you and me, Jamie." 

"Until the end of the line?" He held her as tight as he possibly could hold her without hurting her.