Chapter Thirty-Eight

| SIBERA |

Cassie sat beside Bucky in the Quinjet while Steve flew it over some mountains. The redhead tried her hardest to keep her eyes open, she didn't even know how she could be tired in this situation. 

None of the childhood best friends made a noise, but Bucky was the one to break it "What's gonna happen to your friends?" He asked the question that had been nagging his mind the entire trip, but out of the corner of his eye, he stopped Cassie tried her hardest to keep her eyes from closing. 

Steve stared ahead, heavyhearted. He sighed and shook his head. "Whatever it is... I'll deal with it." Bucky looked over at Cassie and gently placed his metal hand on her knee which made her eyes snap open, not wanting to show anyone she was tried,

The brunette reached over to opened the seat belt on Cassie seat, making her look at him confused. But he grabbed her hand and pulled her onto his lap "Rest your eyes, we still have a good while left, love." he whispered in her ear, pushing some of her now elbow-length hair out of her face while she rested her head on Bucky's shoulder. 

Bucky warped his arms around Cassie's waist while she closed her eyes, and he just looked thoughtful. "I don't know if I'm worth all this, Steve." He sighed, sadly.

The blond glanced around at Bucky and Cassie. "What you did all those years- What both of you did... it wasn't you. You both didn't have a choice." Steve tried to reassure his brunette friend, not sure if Cassie was asleep or not.

Bucky sighed, looking down at Cassie snugly on his lap. "I know. But I did it." He looked back up at Steve, who was sad at what his friend said.

*****

Steve brought the Quinjet into land besides Zemo's caterpillar truck on the remote icy mountain top. The jet's wings fold up beside the fuselage. "Cassie, come one. We're here." Cassie fell asleep within five minutes of sitting on Bucky's lap,
She let her eyes flutter open before she looked at Bucky, "Sorry, I didn't realise how tired I was." She slightly laughed, while Bucky smiles softly at her, "It's fine, doll." He gently kissed her nose before she stood up and stretched, 
Bucky pulled out a rack of guns labelled 'Romanoff'. He takes a light machine gun before he walked over to where Cassie and Steve stand together, waiting for the exit ramp to descend.

"You remember that time we had to ride back from Rockaway Beach in the back of that freezer truck?" Steve smiled at the old memory that popped into his mind,
"Was that the time we used our train money to buy hot dogs?" Cassie looked but at the blond, he just smiled and nodded his head and she slightly laughed.
"I blew three bucks trying to win that stuffed bear for a redhead," Bucky muttered, trying to picture the face of the redhead. He remembered the memory. It was just a bit blurry and foggy.
"That was me. Wasn't it?" Cassie looked back at her boyfriend. Both the blond and the redhead watched at Bucky's face turn into a small smirk, 
"It was, I was determined to win it." Bucky placed a quick peck at the top of her head.
"I remember a girl tried to flirt with you the entire day, but you kept blowing her off." Cassie grinned,
"What was her name again?" Bucky looked back at the two,
"Dolores. You kept calling Cassie Doll just to annoy her." Steve sighed, remembering how much he hated it when the two would do something like that together. When the two started dating it was still like they were best friends, but just be more affectionate with each other. So the both of them were horrible kept in the same room together.
"She's gotta be a hundred years old right now." Bucky sighed, with a smile on his face.