Garrett Henningsen:

I don't know how he doesn't know! I don't know how he's so oblivious. I don't know how he is so stupid. And I don't know how he is so cute.

Max is my love at first sight. That perfect day back in grade ten was, well, perfect. Cassia would point out how it was raining and how I was late to all my classes (and the failed history pop quiz that haunts my soul). But perfect is truly the word for it because that's when I met Max. None of my crushes ever talked to me. I was more a stalk-from-afar type. Then there's Max. He became our friend. We were lucky because he was just a dumb new student that not many people knew. We saved him from the multitude of people who could have been his friend. We, being me and begrudgingly complying Cassia.

Cassia is probably the best friend you could ask for. She listens, she helps, she's great. Cassia got to live a love story. She had a boy chasing after her. I, of course, played the role of the gay best friend. I was the comedic relief and also the one who advised her to follow her heart. And now she has Jake. I'm going to be honest, I like Jake. Not as in like-him-to-the-point-of-dating-him but as in, I like him for Cassia. He's a little overprotective for my taste, always wanting to hold her hand and pulling her away from us. But, that means he cares. And all I want is for someone to care about me too. I want Max to care about me.

I shower him with all my attention yet he doesn't care. All he cares about is beating Cassia at whatever bet or competition they have going on. All he cares about is interrupting Cassia and Jake when they are together. He only cares about pestering the people who don't want to be pestered. What I would give for him to notice me like that. When I say that I would give anything to have a boy like that, how does he not know I'm talking about him?

I watch him intently, a sliver of hope thinking that he knows what I'm implying. He scoffs. "As if he loves her." There's venom in his eyes as he stares at them.

As if you could love me. It seems that Max didn't like Jake much. To be fair, Max doesn't like Cassia loads either. He starts walking faster, on the heels of Cassia and Jake's conversation, catching snippets when we could.

"You really don't want to leave them alone, huh?" I smile angrily. If he let Cassia and Jake be alone then we could be alone. And maybe, I could finally show him that all he ever needed romantically was right under his nose.

Max bites his lip at my question. "We came here to hang out all together, this isn't a date for the two of them. It's a get-together for all of us."

I glance at him meekly. "Maybe Jake wants a little time with Cassia."

"He takes up all her time!" He groans quietly, enough to be out of earshot.

Max is an odd person. He does this a lot. He is really kind but he is easily annoyed, hence the tension between him and Cassia; just two people getting under each others' skin daily. "Max," I try to be gentle. "If you had someone you really liked, wouldn't you want to spend all your time with them?"

"Again," Max starts, "He doesn't love her. And what do you think I'm doing today? I really like Cassia and you because you guys are my friends. I want to spend time with all of us."

I try to speak again but his attention is drawn away by Cassia. "Let's get coffee! You guys can grab a table. I'll order for all of you." I guess subconsciously, all of us had wandered towards the coffee shop in the mall. Surprise, surprise.

Jake sits down across from Max, with an empty chair, -Cassia's chair, beside him. I sit in between that empty chair and Max.

Cassia yells over to us again. "Garrett, come help me carry the drinks." She says just as she finished ordering.

I start walking towards her but not before Jake can stop me. "I can help her, just sit down Garrett."

"Oh, of course you must help her." Max blows out a cold puff of air in annoyance. "She can help herself." He says playfully. I always like how Max is ready to defend each of us at all times. He's truly a great friend, but couldn't we be more?

The fuming tension between them overshadows my happy thoughts of Max. I need to diffuse the bomb. And what a weird bomb it is. Odd positive energy from Max and then this brooding mess of a boyfriend. I turn towards both of them "Cassia asked for me to go, so I'll go." I say, walking towards her. I bet they hear me muttering under my breath but I don't care. "My goodness," I say to myself. "It's just coffee."