Max Peterson:

I don't know how I found myself following Cassia at the end of the day. Well, I actually know exactly how I found myself following Cassia at the end of the day. I was curious to see who she had to meet before she came over. I thought that after she slept with me -slept as in slept consensually beside me not slept with me as in... well- I thought that after she slept with me we would be in a better relationship...? I don't know.

So I was curious.

Or jealous. Whatever.

The point was, I found myself following Cassia all the way to the bleachers, where she is meeting with the fucker that messed up her life. I listened to their conversation intently.

Jake spoke first, completely disregarding the fact that Cassia was speaking. He started with some nonsense about his side-piece then moved on. "I love you so much, do you wanna start over?"

I audibly gagged in disgust but my heart was pounding a million miles a minute. What if she says yes? She said that if Jake ever apologized she would get back together with him. What if she-

Cassia cuts off my own thoughts. "I- No! I saw the way you treated Gia. You hurt her! Y-y-you used her! You treated her like some disposable wrapper!" She yelled. Clearly, I missed the memo on something but judging by Cassia's outburst, Jake was a real prick to some girl.

"I did that for you, Cassia. I did that to make you jealous. It was all for you! So please, Cassia. Won't you say you love me?" God, this boy is broken. I watched Cassia's face twitch at his words. Won't you say you love me? I pray that she doesn't respond how Jake wants her to.

"No."

I exhale a breath I didn't know I was holding and watch Jake's face fall. I smile slightly but it falters when I see Cassia rush past me, tears in her eyes. I follow after her. "Cassia!"

She spins around and falls into my arms when she sees me. "Max I-"

"I saw everything. It's okay." She just hugs me silently. She's not crying but I can feel her holding her tears in. "You did the right thing," -for me. I want to say. You did the right thing for me. But I realize that she did the right thing for her too. "Do you wanna go home?"

She shakes her head, already smiling a little. "No, no. I promised I'd come to your place, remember?"

"I couldn't forget."

We spend quite a bit of time just talking once we reach my house but I can sense her fatigue. "Sleep if you want." I say, laying beside her on my bed, holding her hand again. "It's not like it's your first time sleeping with me." I tease, hoping the jokes will make her feel better.

"I hope it's not the last." She whispers, eyes fluttering closed.

My heart flutters with her eyelids at her words but before I can ask her what she means, she's fast asleep. I lay there for a few moments, just listening to her breathing. It's... calming.

I know I need to ask Cassia out soon.

But I don't want to ask too soon. Not when she's still tender from a heartbreak that hurt her soul. If I ask too soon, I lose everything. And staring at Cassia sleeping beside me, I know that if I lost her I would really be losing everything.

I start drifting off slowly until I hear the doorbell ring. I lay there, hoping it's just my stupid imagination. But it rings twice, then a third time. I get up, careful not to wake Cassia. I walk up to the door, almost annoyed at who is probably my mother, on the other side. I open the door with a puzzled look on my face. Yeah, that's not my mum. "Garrett. Hi."