Jake Rodriguez:

The words were out of my mouth before I could decide against them. I saw how Cassia glanced at Max wearily and how Max squinted at me. He was confused. Fuck, I am confused. But that was my first instinct: Max, I need to talk to you.

He smiles softly at Cassia before turning to me. "Where do y-"

"Let's talk outside." I say with an air of confidence that I definitely don't possess. Cassia looks worried and keeps holding Max's hand even as he walks away. To be fair, he doesn't let go either.

The air blows against my face harshly as the cafe door opens. I grab a cigarette from my pocket and light it, taking a drag as Max comes to lean against the wall beside me.

"I didn't know you smoked." He says softly.

"I haven't, for a long time." I confess. "I stopped when Cassia agreed to go out with me because she made some offhand comment about it."

Max smiles at that. "You liked her a lot, huh?"

"Correction, I like her a lot. Present-tense, Max." I sigh. "So, this isn't easy."

Max keeps his tone light, trying not to upset me. "Why exactly did you come here then?"

I blow out some air, making the smoke curl up above me. "I came here for Cassia. And I came out here to talk to you."

"Talk to me about what exactly?" He asks, hesitantly.

I don't know. I want to say. Maybe it's because I wanted to tell him that she would never love him like she loved me. But that would be a lie spewed with anger. I see his eyes linger on me, waiting for an answer. "I just wanted to ask you to do something for me. I really love Cassia, so much so that it turned me into an asshole who was possessive and overly jealous." I sigh, thinking of Gia. "I just- I need to know that she'll be taken care of."

Max smiles at me. "I was her best friend before I was her boyfriend. I've been taking care of her for forever. So be assured, I won't break her heart."

You couldn't if you tried. I want to tell him.

"I also should apologize." Max continues. "I was a really bad person while you and Cassia dated. I wouldn't just openly flirt with anyone while they're in a relationship. But you know, Cassia isn't just anyone to me."

I twirl the cigarette in my hand. "She's not just anyone to me too. But she was pulling away."

"Thank you, dude." Max says abruptly. "Thank you for letting her go. Cassia would never be happy with me if she knew that doing so would break your and Garrett's heart."

"She's an angel."

Max shakes his head at that. "More like the devil in disguise. But I love her for it."

"I should talk to Cassia." I say, pushing off of the wall.

"Yeah, okay. Stay here, I'll get her."