Cassia Volea:

Max and his jokes are driving me mad. Sure, he's funny but all this talk and teasing will cross the line eventually. That's just how we are. That's our friendship. -Our relationship.

Speaking of relationships, I quickly call out Jake's name. "Hey, are you okay in there?"

He comes out quickly, "I don't know if this fits me. I prefer my sports jacket, plain clothes, and err... black." He says, pointing to the bright teal and sky design.

Garrett looks him up and down before nodding. "That looks nice." He ignores his previous comment easily.

I smile at Jake, an awkward cloud beginning to loom above. "You look good."

He huffs out air. "Oh, not 'spectacularly hot' like Max?" He says angrily.

Garrett raises his eyebrows as he looks at me before scurrying off away from quite a frightening Jake. Shit. That can't be good. "It was a joke." I soothe. I almost forgot that he could hear our conversation. I almost forgot that he could hear our conversation. "Don't be mad."

"I'm not mad at you."

I hear Max cough at a nearby clothes rack. Someone can hear us. "Don't be mad at my friends, please." They don't deserve it, I want to add. But that just didn't seem like the sentiment that would make Jake calm down.

Max must sense how uncomfortable I am and possibly how protective and hostile Jake was beginning to be because he walks over and grabs my wrist. "I found a dress that you would look cute in -that you would like, I mean." He adds, seeing the fire in Jake's eyes.

"I'll be there in a second." I reply quietly. He doesn't let go of me quite yet. "I will be there, find my size." Jake seems to stare him away but he's still slow to leave me.

"We're good, right?" I ask tenaciously. Him, still glaring at the back of Max's head.

He kisses me and pulls me deeper even if I'm not quite enthusiastically responding. He almost kisses against my will and I start to wonder if he can feel me not kissing him back. Finally, I push him off lightly. He repeats, "I'm not mad at you."

I'm quick to run away, his words chasing me into Max's left arm. "I'm sorry." I say nervously. I hate when Jake is even remotely mad at me. He would never hurt me but is overprotective enough to hurt everyone else.

"Hey, are you okay?" Max asks, holding my arms as if I'm going to run from him too. "I know that your boyfriend isn't particularly fond of me right now. Am I being a bother?" He mocks a British accent.

I deadpan, "He's mad that I complimented you."

He scoffs. "You, compliment me? When was this?"

"I said that you looked hot in that shirt Garrett picked out for you and then I said that he only looked good." I sigh.

"I thought you were joking." He confesses.

"I was." Always the immediate response, aren't I always joking?

"So you don't think that shirt looked good on me?" He asks.

"No. Yes." I shake my head. "You always look great so stop fishing for compliments."

He laughs. "I only want you to compliment me."

"Shut up." I snap. "This is why Jake is mad at me -uh, you, us."

"Because we annoy the hell out of each other?" He asks, confused.

"Because," I clarify, "we unabashedly flirt with each other."

"Jealous bastard." I don't even take time to defend Jake. Max isn't wrong. "Ah shit, do I have to stop doing that then?"

"Nah," I say honestly. I don't want you to. My mind says almost immediately. What the fuck is wrong with me?

"Good, I didn't want to stop either." God, did he just read my mind? "So," He begins joking almost immediately. "Wanna break up with your boyfriend and just be with me?"

"Yes please." I probably shouldn't say that, but it comes out easy. Max doesn't care. Or at least, he shouldn't.