Max Peterson:

My mum used to say that people looked dead when they were asleep. And she said that was okay because dead people were at peace and when you are asleep you look at peace too. I thought she was just scaring me. Looking at Cassia asleep beside me, she looked anything but dead. She looked alive. Her eyes fluttered ever so slightly when I made any movements. Her chest rose and fell with her breath. She was smiling too, just a small one, but still, smiling. She was so alive.

I found myself staring at her lips and I didn't want to let go of her hand. In fact, I never wanted to leave this position again. I had never felt like this before. I had never cared so much about one person. It was more than the fact that she was pretty. But Cassia was more than pretty. She was beautiful. Her hair was always perfect and when it wasn't, it was cute. Her face was clear from afar and perfectly textured when you looked up close. Even if her eyes were puffy from lack of sleep, she looked like a very adorable panda. Even if there was a rash on her neck from an irritating sweater she wore, she was perfect. And that was just her looks. I didn't lie when I said her mind was beautiful. She was smarter than both me and Garrett. She was both logically skilled and artistic. I didn't know you could excel at math and dance when they differ so much from each other. I never felt like this before.

I have never loved someone before.

If that is even the word to use in this scenario.

More than lust and more than pity, some odd combination made my heart flutter when I looked at her. Love was common and to me, this feeling wasn't.

Is love the word I should use?

Because I feel so much more than just that.

So much more than just love.