Jake Rodriguez:

I am pleased to have Garrett's approval. He confirmed that Cassia was missing me which means that I am ready to move to the final phase of the plan: winning her back. Of course, there were some loose ends that I had to tie-up.

Or more accurately, there were some loose ends that I had to cut.

I bring up my phone and scroll to Gia's contact. Smiling to myself as I think about Cassia, I type. How do I tell her that we're over?

"Jake, baby!" Goddamn, I'm getting tired of that voice.

"Gia." I say through my teeth.

"Hi." She smiles at me. "So, do you wanna go out this weekend?"

"Gia," I roll my eyes. "We're over, okay?" I say, ignoring how loud my voice is over the chatter in the hallway.

"I thought you liked me."

I blurt it all out angrily. "I don't like you. I dated you for like two months then I got back together with you out of the blue. I don't like you at all. You were just some dumb bitch that I used to make my real girlfriend jealous."

"Who's your real girlfriend?" Gia asks with tears in her eyes.

"Cassia Volea! How does no one know that?" I say exasperated. "She's the person I really love, not you."

"You are toxic, Jake." Okay, who are you, the main character?  "You led me on, used me, and now you're breaking up with me. I may not be the smartest in the world but I have enough knowledge to know that you are an asshole that doesn't deserve me. I feel so bad for this Cassia-girl that you love. I don't hate her, I pity her. Because she has to deal with you."

I fume at her words. "We're done."

"Good."

I bring out my phone and text Cassia, excited to see her without Gia hanging off my arm.

Meet me at the bleachers after school

I really need to talk to you

Read

Fuck. She leaves me on read and I can only hope to see her later. I go to class and see her walking ahead of me. I feel my feet move on their own accord wanting to talk to her. But I stop when I hear her speak.

"Max! Walk to class with me."

He goes to her immediately, trying to grab her hand. "Let me carry your bag at least." He motions towards the book bag Cassia carries in addition to her backpack. "Please." She hands him the bookbag and they walk off smiling.

Shit.

A little longer, Jake.

A little longer then she's yours again. Get through the day.

We can get through the day.

"Fucking Max."