Part Three; Fantasies Of Living

Kai was tied to a chair as he slowly regained consciousness. He looked around and saw Elena's eyes darted on him, making him confused. "You're awake. Good. Now for the Q&A portion of the evening"

"Let me guess. I answer right, I get a pork rind. Wrong, I get a poker" Kai pointed at the pork rind bag in Elena's bag. She frowned and shook her head. "All you are getting is a poker, one way or another"

"You know, you don't have to do this" Kai said, still looking at the girls standing in front of him. "No?" Elena asked, raising her eyebrows. Kai nodded and smiled a bit, did bot seem real at all. "We're on the same team"

"Really? Do you always try and kill your teammates?" Young witch asked, more like snapped, making Kai narrowing his eys with her naivety. "I would not kill Elena, she is so pretty to die. The important thing is that you have your magic back. It worked" Elena scoffed and looked at the ground. Elena and Bonnie looked at each other, debating his answer.

Kai looked at them with shock, not understanding why would they think he would kill Elena. "What, you didn't really think I'd kill Elena, did you? In what universe does that make sense? Who would kill 1/4 of our population? I'm not a monster. I knew Bonnie would show up. She always comes back when it comes to you, I was not sure someone's life being in danger was the greatest motivation but it worked, didn't it?"

Elena and Bonnie looked on unamused as he explained. Bonnie narrowed her eyes and looked at him. "So you did all that just to make sure I would have my magic?"

"Of course I did. Because your magic is the key to getting the hell out of here" Elena and Bonnie looked on, clearly affected by the revelation.

After a whole pushing around and thrown temper tantrum, Kai looked at them and sighed. "Okay. To get home, we'll harness the power of the eclipse using a mystical relic. It's called an Ascendant, and it looks like this-" He picked up a model of the Ascendant, which was round, black and red, showing them. "The last time we had it was in the Pacific Northwest—Oregon" He opened the encyclopedia to a map and did set it on the table. "We?"

Kai nodded before answering the young witch looking at him with curiosity. "It belonged to my family. So-" He picked up the pocket knife and did slit the tip of his finger. "Here's a little blood to get you started. Now all we need is a locator spell to pinpoint its whereabouts" Both Kai and Elena stood up and looking at Bonnie. Elena smiled flatly and gulped before speaking.

"Think you can find our ticket out of here, Bon" She said her nickname comfortably, as if it was her true name. Bonnie, unfazed, nodded and let out a deep breath. "Hell yeah"

Bonnie was doing the locator spell for the Ascendant inside the boarding house, while Elena was softly singing a lullaby to Hope for her to fall asleep. Kai was watching Elena as she placed a kiss on Hope's forehead.

"Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Sequitas Sanguinem" She looked down at the drop of blood on the map, which hadn't moved. "It doesn't feel right. Maybe I need a bigger map?"

Elena looked at her best friend, smiled softly. "I can find a bigger map, or we can just try again tomorrow. Today was a tiring day Bonnie, you shouldn't force yourself. It might overwhelm you" Bonnie looked at them and shook her head as she turned to the map. Kai walked next to Bonnie, making Elena raise her eyebrows. "Concentrate on something you love Bonnie. That's how I used to tune out my siblings. I grew up with a ton of little sisters and brothers. You know, all of them constantly yammering" He came closer to Bonnie. Elena raised her eyebrows even more. "But it taught me how to focus" He looked like he was about to kiss her, but he was not going to. Elena was weirdly disturbed, she smiled awkwardly before walking upstairs with Hope, now she was finally sleeping.

"Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Sequitas Sanguinem. Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Sequitas Sanguinem" Kai looked at the map before looking at Bonnie. "The spell's moving towards Virginia. That can't be right"

"Mm-mm, the spell's working. It's showing me Mystic Falls. It feels so... close" She turned toward Kai and held up her hand.The candles' flames intensify around them. "It's right here"

As soon as she touched Kai's chest, the candles' flames go out completely. Kai reached into his pocket and pulls out the real Ascendant, which was made of silver and gold-colored metal. "Very good"

Elena walked downstairs, not aware of what is going, and frowned when she saw Bonnie with her hands all around Kai's chest. "Hope I am not interrupting, just wanted to see if there is any progress" Elena said kindly, and watched them parting quickly. She felt weird, she was not going to think about it. "That's the Ascendant?" Elena asked as she saw the weird thing Kai was holding. He walked to her direction and nodded. "The one and only"

"Why didn't you tell that you have the Ascendant?" Elena asked as she continued watching him, he got closer, something Elena did not appreciate. "It was just another little test. To make sure Bonnie's magic was precise enough for the spell. I do believe you're ready. Pack your bags - we're going home"

Elena bit her lip and walked back to upstairs, cursing under her breath because she had to wake Hope up. Kai watched her walking upstairs, and Bonnie smirked. She would approve anyone other than Damon for Elena, mainly because she actually wanted him all for herself.

a/n: it's hard to write something unheroic about Bonnie because like, she is my baby 🥺