Part Four; Idle Town

"Family massacred in Portland. The only one missing was the oldest boy, a 22-year-old named Malachi" Bonnie red it out loud, making Elena gulp. Kai was walking in front of them as Elena's grip around Hope became tighter. "Who names a kid Malachai? It's like they expected me to be evil"

"All these kids were murdered!" Bonnie yelled in panic, not knowing what to say or do. Kai narrowed her eyes and looked at Bonnie. "Hello! Not everyone died. I had a soft spot for one of my sisters. 'Cause otherwise, I would've cut her lungs out, and not just her spleen"

"What?" Bonnie asked in disbelief, not wanting to believe that one person can help them was a psychopath. "You can survive without a spleen"

"Something tells me you're not speaking hypothetically" Elena gulped and said, earning another eye narrow from Kai. He pointed at the photo on the front page. "Look, well, these two, I, uh, hung off a stairwell railing. Then I put a hunting knife in her abdomen, and him, I drowned in the pool. But, he kept fighting me. I was like, "I saved you for last, you ungrateful little..." Anyway, that was that"

"You just killed your whole family?"

"Coven, to be precise. Oh, you know, family of witches" The brunette vampire took a deep breath and looked at Kai with anger. "So you are a witch?"

"Sort of, yeah. No powers, obviously. Oh, and of course, Gemini Coven did not take it too well when they heard what I did in Portland. It's why they banished me here"

"This place is a prison. They created it for you" Kai nodded dramatically and sighed. "Yup, welcome to my personal hell!"

Later, Bonnie leaned over Elena and whispered. "We're not letting Kai out of here, okay? He just said he's a serial killer" Elena nodded in agreement and gulped, he was a serial killer, they were trapped in with a serial killer. "Oh, come on, two of you. You wanna go home to your friends, I wanna go back and give the rest of the Gemini Coven an excruciating death. Win-win!" Bonnie and Elena shook their heads at the same time. "Head shaking doesn't work for me"

Kai said as he was about to grab Bonnie, when instead Elena grabbed him as she handed Hope to Bonnie. Her vampire face came out as she spoke. "I am warning you, don't ever lay a hand on her." She let him go and hissed. "Kind of a non-issue now. We missed the day's eclipse. Rain check for tomorrow?"

Bonnie looked at him with anger and hissed under her breath. "No" Bonnie and Elena went back to their house, leaving Kai behind.

"Look, we can still get outta here, Bonnie. We can steal that "Descendant" contraption, find out what Kai knows and we'll ditch him, because he doesn't have any powers anyway" Kai suddenly appeared at the door and invited himself in with his lack of manners. "Actually, it's not that simple"

"You gotta stop doing that. It's creepy" Elena noted as she sipped her blood. Kai walked to the kitchen and tilted his head. "Here's the thing: I have a killer effect on magic. I can't generate it myself. But, I can consume it from others temporarily. My family callled me an abomination. That hurt my feelings" He grabbed Bonnie's wrist. Bonnie and Elena started moaning in pain and the stove caught fire.

"Okay, we get it!" Elena screamed and Kai stopped his spells, not really into hurting Elena anymore. "You can see why my coven and I didn't get along"

"I smell an ultimatum"

"If I consume all of Bonnie's magic I'm just gonna end up killing her. But, if we work together, we can all go home as friends. Or I can devour her magic, kill Bonnie, and go home alone. What's it gonna be?" He sat down at the table and started eating the pancakes.

———

"I heard my name. All good I hope" Kai walked to them and smirked. He also had the Ascendant in his hand and he used it as he looked up and blocked the sun from his face with it. "The eclipse will happen directly overhead" Kai looked at Elena and Bonnie who were shooting him glares. "In perfect alignment with the Gemini constellation" He looked toward Elena, who looked right back, angrily. "You need to dig into the tunnels below us"

"Why?" Bonnie asked, Kai paused for a second and spoke to her slowly as if she were a young child. "Have you never portal-jumped through an eclipse before?" When Elena and Bonnie did not look amused he took a step forward, trying to explain it more properly.

"Okay look, the light of the eclipse will shine down and activate the Ascendant, you spout a little witchy woo and then poof!" He gestured an explosion with his hands, Bonnie raised her eyebrows. "Anyone standing in the circle of light holding the Ascendant goes home"

"By 'witchy woo', I assume you mean the spell?"

"Uh-huh" Kai nodded and answered it positively. Bonnie raised her eyebrows. "Let me see it" Bonnie challenged, making Kai pause and purse his lips as he was considering the proposal. "When the time comes"

He stepped forward and pushed past them. Elena scoffed and looked at him. "Where are you going?"

"Into town, I need to... gather some important supplies" He turned whistling before leaving. Elena picked up the axe that Kai had sunk into the ground, she took an incredulous look at both the stick and axe in her hand before tossing the stick. Elena and Bonnie raised their eyebrows before Elena raised the axe and attacked the ground with it. "Let's get over with it"

a/n: the sadness lorde's conan's and taylor's musics give me, my exes could never.