Part Eighteen: Baby It's Just Me And You

"It had been tiring few days, we all need a break" Caroline mumbled something like this while she was watching the fire lighting the living room through the fireplace. Stefan was not particularly caring about what she was saying, something important was going in his head. "Are you even listening me?"

"No, to be honest" Caroline narrowed her eyes to his answer, he was being awfully annoying again. He was always like that whenever he was thoughtful, Caroline really hated seeing him thoughtful. "What is bothering you?"

Stefan took his time before answering. "Do you still feel something for Klaus?" Caroline frowned and looked at Stefan with confusion. "What does that mean?"

"Just say yes or no Caroline" The blonde vampire gulped, she was not sure how to answer his question. "I, I don't know" Stefan scoffed and looked at the blonde with confusion as well in his green eyes. "You would know if you feel for someone, wouldn't you?"

"Why you are asking me this? I-"

"Just answer it Caroline, for God's sake!" Stefan yelled at her with the moment of anger as he let out a breath. Caroline gulped and looked at him, lying to him because of how mad she was. "Yes, I do. In fact, I am in love with him! Are you happy now?" Stefan did not look happy or satisfied; he looked disappointed, and sad. He shook his head and sped out of the house, leaving Caroline alone with the mistake she had made.

Elena walked in with her hands up on her belly even though there was no visible bump. She frowned and looked at her blonde friend looking at the fireplace with regret and self turned anger. "Care?" She placed one hand on her shoulder and her voice sounded so gentle, way more gentle than Caroline had ever heard. "What's wrong?"

"I did a mistake" Her voice sounded calm, but Elena knew her best friend, she was anxious, certainly not calm. A sad smile crept on her face. "We all do, plenty of them" Caroline looked down as Elena kept her hand on her shoulder. She shook her head this time before talking. "What I did, I don't think I can take it back"

Elena bit inside her cheek and let out a sad sigh, something mixed with disappointment and tiredness. "I wouldn't be so sure, Stefan is not a complicated man. Also I can say, he loves you" Caroline turned to Elena and pulled her into a warm hug as she was in need of comforting herself solely. "It was horrible when you were gone"

"I don't plan on leaving ever again, I promise" Caroline smiled flatly and let out a happy sigh. Two best friends parted and Elena smiled once again before leaving Caroline alone with her thoughts. She was not aware that she was also one of the things Caroline was thinking about. She was a bit of jealous of how she had her family, how she got her mortality back, how she was living the life she was hoping to live.

It was always Elena, the best girl was always Elena. The universe had chosen her to be the one, literally. That was what Caroline was thinking when she was in high school, putting herself and Elena into a competition and Elena was always winning, she wasn't even trying. However, she was aware now. She was aware of all the things she had to go through, and she was always alone. They were around her maybe, but Elena never really let anyone to come so close.

And there was Jeremy, the only person who knew everything about Elena's feeling and emotions. After his death Elena's emotions were gone too, and they really tried too hard to bring her back. Caroline knew how her best friend looked like when everyone she loved was alive and there were no vampires around. For the first time in years, Elena looked like she was truly alive.

Caroline was not blind, she was aware that it was Kai's impact. She was afraid that Kai would leave Elena, putting her back to her endless depression and denial. She was aware that her best friend could not handle another heartbreak. She looked down again, she was aware that Elena was their glue. She was aware that if Elena was going down, they were all going down. And if Kai was to go down, Elena would follow him even with the babies she was carrying.

That was maybe why Caroline was quick to accept the fact that Kai was going to be in their lives as long as Elena was going to be. She was glad that Elena was able to find herself someone who cared about everything about her. Then it occurred to her, she had it all as well. Right before Stefan walked out of that boarding house, fifteen minutes ago.

She took a deep breath and looked around before deciding to find Stefan. She sped out of the house, leaving Elena smiling. Kai narrowed his eyes and walked into the living room. "For a second I really thought she was just going to let him go"

"Caroline would never give up on something she wants. That's her thing, actually" Kai smirked and sat next to Elena. "Oh so we are alone" Elena chuckled and pressed her lips on his lips quickly. It was a cute, little kiss but it was bound with love, so it was more than enough. "We should definitely move out, I don't want to involve this drama everyday. Plus who would choose Klaus over Stefan? Tastelessness at its peak"

Elena narrowed her eyes and smirked. "I don't know, Klaus was a pretty hot psycho" Kai glared at her with all of his seriousness, making Elena laugh with amusement. "Don't worry, the only pretty hot psycho I want is you. And only you" He grinned and connected their lips for a short time. "I am not psychopath, you know. I prefer the term of sociopath"

Elena narrowed her eyes and patted on his chest. "Alright, then you are the only super hot psychopath slash sociopath i want" Kai let out a wholesome laugh and his hands found her cheeks in a tenderly way. "That was definitely something I would like to hear from you"

a/n: i don't know about stefan and caroline but i'll still give them a shot