Part Nineteen: If I Bleed You'd Be The Last To Know

"Just promise me you won't set the house owner alight if we don't like the house"  Kai narrowed his eyes as he buckled his seatbelt and started the engine. "You don't understand, I am just setting the house alight, not the owner. And maybe I am putting a barrier spell to the door so he cannot go out"

Elena sighed and shook her head as she rested her head on the window. Kai smiled like a guilty child and held Elena's hand. "I won't set anyone or anything alight, I promise" Elena sent him a soft smile and nodded as she turned her head back to his face. "How are the babies doing inside of you?"

"They are our children you know that right?" Kai shrugged and looked at the road. "Are they disturbing you? I remember the twins were kicking my mother's insides, and everyone was thinking it was so cute. But then when I took their insides out no one thought-"

"Kai!" Elena looked at him with wide open eyes as her hands were pressed on her lightly visible belly. "Just drive" Kai looked at Elena with fear and sadness. "I made you sad and anxious. I am sorry, I didn't mean to" Elena smiled, even though it was kinda hard to smile at that point, and shook her head. "It's alright, maybe we can do something different today, what about picnic or a cinema date?" Kai rested his head on the steering wheel and sighed. "I don't know what is happening to me today. All I crave is kill and shed blood"

Elena's eyes widened and her breathing got faster and faster. Kai realized that, he raised his head slowly but dangerously. Elena gulped as their eyes met, and his eyes were not filled with the any kind of love. It did not look right, it was not Kai. It was like someone was controlling him. "Kai, what is happening?" Kai looked blank, so blank that scared Elena to death. It was like something was consuming him.

Elena got out of the car pretty quick, frantically looking  around, still not sure about what was wrong with Kai suddenly acting like his old self. Clear this was someone's doing, Elena knew that Kai was not the responsible for whatever was happening to him.

She backed up and eventually started to run until Kai appeared right in front of her. "Running again? Don't you remember what happened last time you ran?" Elena took a huge breath and bit inside of her cheek. "You won't hurt me, whatever possessed you, it won't hurt me"

"How sure you are" Elena looked at him with confidence, he doubted himself for a second. "Whoever is controlling you right now knows that if they hurt the babies i am carrying, they won't see another daylight after you got free" Kai let out a loud laugh, making Elena tense immediately as now she was not in a position to attack. "Who said I was being controlled?"

"Who are you?" That question baffled Kai, he looked confused for a second before his features relaxed again and his face regained its cocky expression, but Elena saw the desperation inside his eyes. He was trying to fight whatever was controlling him. "I am the man you fell in love with. A monster, just like the rest"

"You are him, so you are saying?" Elena looked at his eyes, daring him. She looked at the ground, seeing a sharp rock, she crouched down and grabbed it before standing back up. She held the rock to her neck looking right inside of his eyes. "So you would have no problem with hurting me. But what if I hurt myself in a way you cannot control the damage?" Kai frowned as Elena started to cut her skin open, her throat to be precise.

His eyes widened as she started bleed uncontrollably. He grabbed her arm and her neck tenderly, chanting something in Latin in order to heal the wounds. Seeing how close they are, Elena held the rock high and hit his head with all of her power, enough knock him up, not enough to kill him, just like she wanted it to be.

She carried his body to their car and drew to the Boarding House, knowing she will need a witch and a vampire. She was not sure if she was ready to cooperate with Bonnie again after everything, but she did not have many options.

It was Klaus' doing, and she could say he was using Davina by doing so. Elena was sure that Davina would not mind ruining her life, because of given reasons that Elena almost killed her and Kai almost killed Marcel. Oh, she really wished almost was enough for that once.

She started the engine before checking and making sure that Kai was still unconscious. It would be much easier if she was a vampire, she was so aware of it but she was trying not to think about it at all. She was driving faster than she should have, but she was aware that she was racing with time and every second was so pricey till Kai was to wake up.

When she reached to the house finally, she ran out of the car, not trying to cary Kai before she find Caroline or Stefan. As she ran inside she was not expecting to see her two best friends making out in the middle of the living room.

Caroline was the first to break the kiss and look Elena with an unreadable expression. "Elena, I thought you and Kai were-"

"He is in the car, unconscious, I need your help" Caroline and Stefan looked at each other, confused and slightly anxious before following Elena out. Caroline looked at Kai with wide open eyes as she saw the scar on his head. "One of you give him your blood" Stefan nodded and bit his wrist, making sure Kai had the blood in his system. When his heartbeats became more hearable Caroline nodded to her friend and Elena let out a shaky breath. "Thank God"

"Okay, Stefan you carry Kai inside. Me and Elena are behind you" Stefan nodded and took Kai out of the car. Elena closed her eyes and sighed. "You might want to tie him down, he is not on his right mind, trust me" Caroline looked at her friend's left hand and her clothes, they were all covered with blood and her throat looked bruised. "Elena, what happened? Did he try to hurt you?"

Elena looked at Stefan walking into the house with Kai's body. "Not him Caroline. This is Klaus, and his doing" Caroline bit her lip and  both girls walked inside, closing the door behind them.