Part Twenty Five: I Only See Daylight

Niklaus was sitting upon a hill, watching the waves crashing the shore, listening the calmness until he heard a pair of footsteps. "Niklaus Mikaelson, the root of all my problems!" Klaus stood up and turned to Kai. "So I am assuming Lucien let you go, good for you. Aren't you supposed to be with your girlfriend and children?"

Kai nodded with a serious expression and sighed dramatically. "I should be, should not I? And you know what, I was going to be. Then I realized she and I will never be happy if we won't get rid of you"

Klaus scoffed. "Daggers only work for so long, we ran out of white oak stakes; what do we do in those kind of emergency?" Klaus suddenly felt like choking by an invisible force. His eyes got widened and he started to cough. "In an emergency, I do kill you myself!"

"You will die if you kill me!" Klaus yelled, trying to save his life yet it was a useless attempt. "I know, I am so ready to die" Klaus started to cough blood and slowly started to desiccate. "She deserves better than us, you know that"

"That is why I am killing both of us, so she will be free of us" Kai was getting weaker as Klaus was getting grayer. "I did love her, truly"

"And I do love her, mindlessly" Kai closed his fist and Klaus screamed in pain. "That is why I need to protect her. Even if it means leaving three children fatherless"

Klaus slowly stopped shouting, he started to watch Kai hopelessly as he fully desiccated. This was it, Kai felt his soul leaving his body as Klaus stopped breathing and his heart stopped beating.

He looked at the sea, thinking of Elena, smiled and closed his eyes for the rest of the forever. All he had was all he lost and stupidly, it made a lot sense for someone who was never really good with words.

But something happened, his heart did not stop beating. He gasped, and so did Klaus, they both turned their head to the three women chanting together. "What-"

"Impossible" Kai slowly whispered as he stood up, seeing the women walking close to them. When they finally stopped chanting they both were feeling better and most importantly, undead. "Elena-"

The doppelgänger's palm met with Kai's cheek in the harshest manner, causing his head to fall to the right. "I should fucking kill you for everything you put me through"

"I was doing it by myself" Elena started to hit his chest repeatedly as her tears. "I hate you for what you did!" Kai wrapped his arms around her body as she gave in. "I love you so much, don't do this to me again"

"I am sorry, I love you too" Klaus watched them with envy and pain in his eyes. That scene was his realization of Elena's love was directed to Kai and to Kai only.

Freya sighed and walked to her brother, pulling him into a hug. "Come on, little brother, let's go home. Hope is waiting for you" Elena watched them walk away and smiled awkwardly, not knowing what to say.

She looked at the young harvest witch who agreed to help her and sent her a warm smile. "Thank you Davina"

Davina smiled lightly and nodded. "I couldn't have let those children grow up fatherless, no matter what happened between us" Elena nodded and Davina turned her back to them, walking away.

"How did you do that? You aren't a witch-"

"The babies we've made are siphoners, seems so I can siphon as well as long as they are in me" Kai laughed and placed a kiss on her forehead. "I love you so much"

"I love you too, can we please go back home now? And together this time?" Kai cleared his throat and looked at Elena with uncertainty. "I still have something to do, it has been on my mind for a very long time and I don't know when was the right time but" He kneeled in front Elena, making the doppelgänger gasp with shock. "Elena Gilbert, even though I do not have a ring and I promise I will get you the best ring in the world, will you marry me?"

Elena started to take deep breaths and looked around like she was not able to believe what was happening there was real. She made him stand up and held his hand. "Fuck the ring, yes, yes! I will marry you!"

Kai let out chuckle as he pulled her to himself and kissed her lips. Elena returned the kiss, never wanting to let go, and they stood there for minutes only kissing and laughing.

Because it was all over, the night was finally the day and the nightmare was over, they had woken up just in time, right before falling down from the cliffside. They did not follow their fears all the way down, they followed each other and they found themselves in their home.

They had each other, and they were only seeing daylight.

a/n: IT IS OVER LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN THIS STORY. I LOVE YOU ALL!

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐅𝐀𝐕𝐎𝐑𝐈𝐓𝐄 𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐌𝐄 ᶜᵒᵐᵖˡᵉᵗᵉᵈ 🎉