Part Twenty One: Gold Cage, Hostage To My Feelings

"When will Elena come back?" Caroline asked to Stefan as he stared at the warlock looking at them. "I don't know" Kai let out a chuckle, looking at the vampire duo. "You are exactly stupid, the definition of the word stupid"

Stefan narrowed his eyes, knowing better than not to get mad but Caroline couldn't keep her cool. "Kai will kill you, you know"

"You think Klaus is controlling Kai? That shows how stupid you are. Why would Klaus bother?" Stefan frowned and looked at Caroline who looked pissed. She was so mad at whosoever in Kai's body, considering Elena was now in New Orleans. "I have to admit, Kai has an immense love towards his baby momma. Elena cut her throat open and it would not be a problem to me, but Kai fought for her well being! He healed her, can you believe it? He managed to fight"

"Who are you?" Kai let out a loud laugh, causing Caroline to narrow her eyes with irritation. "Now, that would make everything immensely easy for you to track me" Kai pretend like he was thinking for a minute before snapping his two fingers harmlessly. "So here is your first clue, I am not someone you know, I am not even someone Elena knows! Good lord, who am I?"

Both vampires frowned, not understanding why would someone stranger to their friends bother to do such thing with such preparation. "Elena Gilbert is exquisite! And I see, everyone around has a soft spot for brunettes except your funny haired boyfriend" Caroline narrowed her eyes.

"What does that mean" Stefan found himself asking. Kai smirked as he looked at the blonde vampire. "Kai is not the only supernatural creature who fell in love with the latest Petrova doppelgänger. Perhaps someone stronger, someone Elena knew very well. In fact, someone Elena is currently sharing the same house"

They both looked shocked, both Caroline and Stefan wanted to believe that they got it wrong. "Klaus is in love with Elena?" Kai nodded and smirked. "Why do you think I told you that Klaus would not bother? He is so in love to think straight and me on the other hand, I only want to hurt Klaus. Your little friends are the collateral damages"

"Go, call Elena" Caroline nodded and attempted to speed out of the room as her neck got snapped. Stefan was about to attack Kai but his end was tragically same. Both vampires laid down, temporarily dead, and Kai walked out of the cellars, it was not so hard for him to catch up with a few spells.

Elena woke up, but she felt like she did not sleep at all. Now she was sleeping for three, but she felt like she was awake for the whole humanity and their burdens. She walked down the stairs with the night gown Hayley gave her from her maternity clothing and Klaus assured her that she was going to get her own clothes.

Her friend approached her as she walked into the kitchen. Blonde header vampire smiled to her best friend and Elena returned the smile. "Morning Bex"

"Morning, how are the babies doing?" Elena chuckled about how excited she was about the babies and being aunt again. Elena nodded her head. "They are doing good" Rebekah smiled and nodded leaving the kitchen before patting on Elena's shoulder.

She opened the fridge, seeing the orange juice, she smiled and grabbed it. She was searching for a glass as she heard his voice. "In need of help?" Elena smiled and turned to Elijah who was standing by the door. "I was looking for a glass" Elijah nodded and opened the cardboard next to Elena, giving her the glass. "You can't just drink orange juice for the breakfast, I hope you are aware of it" Elena nodded, but still drinking her orange juice. Elijah sighed and took the eggs out of the fridge. "You know, I can make myself an omelette"

"I doubt it"

"You try to get orphan at the age of seventeen" Elena grabbed the eggs from the box and started to stir them in a cup after cracking them. "It teaches a lot to one, like cooking and house economy" Elijah could not decide if it was hilarious or tragic, tragicomic perhaps, Elena narrowed her eyes. "It was supposed to be a joke"

He let out a silent chuckle, so did she. She seasoned the egg with salt and pepper before pouring it into the pan. "I am glad you are alright" Elena nodded her head and grabbed the plate Elijah was holding out to her. "I am not alright, I am carrying siphoner twins and my baby daddy is being controlled by some maniac. Look at me Elijah, the only port I can refuge is my greatest enemy now"

"Klaus is not your enemy, not anymore"

"You know what I mean" Elijah nodded his head, and they both watched the omelette in the pan. "I just, I just know that he did not want to hurt you. And if he was not cursed-"

"And if I wasn't the doppelgänger, there are tons of if's. They are all in the past now, I would like to think in that way. This is the only way I can move on from every single dead body I have seen" Elijah nodded his head with understanding and left the kitchen as Elena put the omelette on her plate.

Klaus smiled softly behind the wall, she was moving on from their harsh past and maybe settling into a new one. He was so blinded, whosever in Kai's body was right; Klaus was so blind to see that he was the one who was hurting Elena more than anyone or anything in her life. And he should have been ashamed of himself for ruining something that precious, but again, he was so blinded by his feelings and her ignorance.

a/n: this thing is going to somewhere i don't really know