20 | parties and predicaments

The Next Day

It's 6:45 PM, fifteen minutes before Camille is supposed to pick me up. My stomach is turning, and my brain is sending me warning signals not to go to the party.  I haven't been this nervous since the day I asked Camille out. The reason being that this will be my first party ever in high school. I've only seen them on social media stories and Youtube. So, of course, I'm shivering in my boots. It's like if you're playing a video game, and you're the only one standing against a full enemy team.

You don't want to make any mistakes.

That's why I took a lot of precautions beforehand. Taylor picked out my outfit for me, so I'll be okay regarding that. I had some money lying about, so I went shopping.

Yes, this party is that important to me. I only want to improve my reputation (and Camille's, by association) at this party. I got some dark jeans, a black hoodie with a white rose in the corner. I'm finally using the Jordan 1's (black and white in color) I had in my closet that was itching for the opportunity to be worn.

The truth of the matter, I had nowhere worthy of them.  

Anyway, I check myself out in the mirror several times to make sure everything is okay. I brush my teeth twice, used one of Tay's colognes, and made sure my shoes weren't creased. I even did my hair properly for once, letting my natural curls have their time to shine. They looking extra vibrant today.

I'm not letting anything getting in the way of this night. At 8:02, Camille pulls up at my house. She recently just got a car, and it's a sight to behold. She drives a dazzling white 2015 Kia Optima. Camille rolls the window down and smiles.

"Hello stranger, have you seen my boyfriend?" I laugh and responds,

"I think that would be."

"Oh, that's right.  Well, hop in then. Let's go." I open the car door and slide in the seat. I can't lie, it's a comfortable car.

"Sweet ride you got here, love."

"Thanks, babe, it's the one I really wanted. I had to make sure it's spacious," she pauses. Camille looks deep into my soul with flirtatious eyes. "For lots of things," she says and winks. 

Que?

I sit there dumbfounded and speechless. She laughs and drives off, leaving me to my own devices to figure out what she meant.

The ride there is silent for the most part. We talk about miscellaneous things such as school and stuff. Sophia was supposed to ride with us, but she got picked up by a guy who offered her. According to Camille, she like breaking hearts, so she went with him. I feel bad for that dude. The entire ride, however, she was holding my hand on her thigh.

I dare not move it. It was a novel experience, and I enjoyed it to my heart's content.

We arrive at the place, and it's huge (that's what she said). It's a two-story mansion on a hill.  The yard is the size of a soccer field, and there are two pools in the back and the front of the house. Also in the back: a pool table, 60' flat-screen TV with a PS5 hooked up, and a jacuzzi. Whoever owns this place got some serious cash.

Just looking at it in the car intimidates me. I'm not built for these social situations. The nervousness is getting to me, and my heart is racing. I don't think I can do this.

"Alonzo, look at me," Camille orders. I oblige, and she kisses me. No hesitation, just lip-to-lip action. She pulls away and says, "You got this. I'm here with you."

She's right. I gotta keep it together. For both of our sakes, I'll put on a facade and try to have fun. Taylor and Leo should be here too, so there's that. To top it all off, I have her with me.  A supportive and loving girlfriend.