19 | invites and insomnia

It was a long day. I'm exhausted just trying to keep up with Taylor's love life, Sophia's antics, and Cami's excitement. As always, my bed welcomes me with loving arms. As much as I want to sleep, I can't.

Sophia and I's conversation still lingers in my head. She was going to bring up something until Camille showed up last minute. Then when Camille showed up, she left immediately. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. Camille came in clutch for me in many ways. She wouldn't do anything to hurt me.

I'm sure of it. 

I've been trying to sleep for around forty-five minutes now. I did everything possible: drinking warm milk, deep breaths, and even turning my pillow on the other side. None of it worked for me. Something is just gnawing within me that won't let my brain relax. 

It's 11 PM now, so I decide to be a responsible student for once and do the rest of my homework. Most of it is already done since Camille won't stop pestering me about it. The only thing I have left to do is an economics assignment. It's not due until Monday, but I might as well get rid of it now.

Halfway through this boring work, my phone rings. I take a look at it, and it's Camille. Does she not sleep? I grab my phone and prop it on my laptop. I'm greeted by my green-eyed beauty wearing a gray hoodie when the call connects. 

She blinks and chuckles, "I didn't expect you to answer, baby."

"Yeah, I couldn't sleep tonight."

"Neither me. I guess we're together in that sense too," Cami beams. I stop typing and look at her in awe. It wasn't too long ago that we were total strangers. Now, Camille Poscher is my girl. She's my girl. Sometimes it doesn't feel real.

"Hey, Cami,"

"Yes, my darling?"

I gulp and ask, "You're happy with me, right?" My hands start shaking. Maybe that's what she was talking about: Camille isn't happy being with me. Her facial expression went from cheerful to soft in an instant.

"Babe, listen to me. I'm happy with you. My life has never been happier. And you're the reason behind it." 

It sounds too good to be true. "Really?" 

"Yes, really. You don't remember when I said that you make me feel alive? I was quite serious. You're the only person that allows me to be my true self."

She pauses, "I feel safe with you, Alonzo."  

Her words leave me with a tornado of emotions. She left me speechless. Her soft smile, the reassurance she provides, can't be matched.  

"Cami, ever since you've entered my life, it's been uphill.  We hardly fight, and you light up my life. I'm actually doing slightly better in school because of you pushing me. I just wanted to say thank you for everything." 

"God, I wish I could kiss you right now," she says, tearful.  Her eyes might have tears filling them, but she looks the happiest I've seen her since I asked her out. "You don't know how much that means to me, babe."

After that, we just kept each other company over the phone. As she was doing 'girls activities,' whatever that means, I finished my assignment. Then, she scolds me for staying up so late and requests that I go to sleep. I can tell she's sleepy, and my eyes are starting to get heavy. 

I go to sleep smiling, remembering the conversation we just had. 

~The Next Day~

My first class of the day, Literature, ends with the teachers giving back the essays we turned in last week.  He walks by and whispers to me, "Nice improvement Alonzo." When I check my grade, it's an A-. 

That's the highest I ever got in his class. My record before this was a C+. After Camille scolded me about how I didn't take my work seriously, I did just that. Now, my labors are finally paying off. Having a smart girlfriend is a blessing.

I report the good news to Camille during lunch. Before we sit down, she quickly pecks me on the lips. Luckily no one saw that, or else I would've gotten crucified right there and then. She looks up at me and says, "I'm so proud of you. I know you could've done it. Aim for an A next time, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am," I reply and salute her, recalling our time together at the playground.  We laugh over the memory, and a yawn interrupts it. We turn our heads simultaneously to see Sophia stretching. I forgot she's sitting with us today. Our last conversation fills my head, but I quickly remove the thought. 

"Gee, can't yall be any more cutesy?" Soph asks.

"You really want me to amp it up? Because I know for sure Alonzo won't mind."

"In fact, I would-"

"Shut up,"

"Yeah, you're right, my bad." 

I'm just going to stay silent because girls' conversations can be a different breed. They bicker for about five minutes while I'm savoring my lunch.  I'm scrolling Instagram on my phone when Sophia calls for my attention. 

"Hey Lonzo, you heard me?" 

"No, I didn't," I turn off my phone, "What did you say?"

She sighs, "I said there's going to be a major party at a senior's house. The invitation goes out to all juniors and seniors. Are you coming?" 

Yikes. Partys are not my scene at all. My anxiety level rises every time I think about one. I'm afraid that something will go south. I scratch the back of my neck and look at Sophia, who had her hand resting on her face.

"I don't know Sophia, that's not my style. I don't even have the address."

"That's not a problem," 

"What do you mean?" 

"Cam and I know the guy. We can just drop you there and back." I turn to Camille, who was listening intently. She gazes at me with anticipation.

"What do you think, Camille?" I ask her. 

She fidgets in her seat, "Well, I won't be going obviously if you don't want to come. It just won't be fun." So, she really wants to go then. I can see it in her face. My defeat is at hand.

"Okay fine, I'm game." Cami's face lights up, and Sophia smirks. My girl hugs me and pecks me on the cheek. "I'll send you my address later," 

"Okay, love. You won't regret this, I promise. It'll be so fun."

Well, I hope I won't.

A/N: Do you like going to parties? I'll go to one from time to time. If you like this chapter, please consider voting and leaving a comment. Until the next one,

~Antor