26 | talks and transformations

"Hey, we need to talk." 

I turn around to see her. The last time I saw her, she was crying her eyes out. Today, Camille looks more of herself. She's wearing light blue washed jeans with a short white cardigan and a crop top. I already know she's wearing her white Vans without needing to look down. There is no makeup today, and you can see little bags under her eyes. Her lips are just as glossy as I remember them. She's biting her lip, as she always does that when she's anxious about something. Even after what happened, she's still gorgeous to me.

The guys are shocked too because they haven't said anything since she arrived. Glancing around, I notice that slowly but surely, people around us are starting to see that Camille is at our table. I'm pretty sure I hear a snicker somewhere. This can get ugly quickly.

"About?" I ask her.

"You know exactly what," she whispers to me. Suddenly anger starts to bubble inside me. I refuse to show it, though. I keep a relaxed demeanor while this is happening.

I roll my eyes, "Oh yeah, right. Fine, I guess." She looks pleased and relaxed at the same time when I give her the answer she wants to hear. I get up from my seat and turn to my friends.

"I'll be back later."

Taylor looks up from his phone and sighs, "All right. Take your time." I get my stuff and leave, following her to the cafeteria's exit. On our way out, I hear a guy say,

"Look, guys, the lovebirds are getting back together! Yo Zo, watch out for any other secrets, okay?" Immediately laughter erupts. It stings, but I keep a poker face nevertheless. I'm not going to let them win like that. Besides, knowing Leo, he'll probably kick that guy's ass later down the line if I want him to. 

We're outside the cafeteria. "Where are you taking me?"

"Somewhere we can be alone," she softly responds. I roll my eyes at her response.

"Yeah, that sounds familiar." She does not respond, and we keep walking. A couple of minutes later, we arrive at the secret garden near the library building. This is where usually scandalous activities occur, but I guess it's the place for an awkward talk for today. As a courtesy, someone nice placed a table and two chairs, if just in case people just wanted to talk and enjoy the scenery.  

That's precisely what we're doing today.

I pull the chair from underneath the table and sit down. For the first time in a while, I didn't pull out the seat for her. If she was surprised, she didn't show it. She sits down and avoids looking me in the eye.

"What do you want to talk about, Camille?"  

Silence.

"Hello?" I wave my hand in front of her face and still get nothing from her. I think I hear her sniffling a bit. My body starts to tense up, anticipating her response. 

"A-Alonzo," she stammers.

"Yes?"

And just like that, the tears start flowing. "I am so sorry, Alonzo, for everything. I never met to hurt you."

I raise an eyebrow. "Are you sure about that?

"Yes, I know how it looks, but honestly, it was never about Mitchell."

"You literally only went out with me for his sake."

"That's not entirely true. I went out with you because I found you attractive."

"But not so attractive that you could've pursued me without his help?"

"I know it sounds stupid, but him telling me to go after you was the best thing to ever happen to me. What he didn't tell you that soon after we started talking, I was falling in love by the seconds. The little dates, the talks we had, all of it. Then you asked me to be your girlfriend at the amusement park," she stops, smiling at the distant memory.