Chapter 2 - Moving Forward

It is about ten in the morning. Four parasites await my arrival. The first of the group greets me, that person being Ko. "Good morning," The boy greets.

Ko's partner, a brown haired girl, waves silently with a smile. Yume has mostly been silent. Then a blonde haired girl steps forward. "It's good to see you again," The blonde says, "Even though I see you everyday."

"Well, it is good to see that you are well, Maya," I reply. Maya is the person who oversees the distribution of food, cooks with whatever ingredients we have, and manages the cleaning of the lodgings.

Next to Maya is a boy taller than me and Ko. He holds a fruit in his hand and stands next to the crates of fruit that had been harvested yesterday.

"Kenji, it's good to see you're doing well," I say. The boy nods with a grin. "You know, it's all because of you," He says.

Kenji tosses me the apple in his hand, which I catch. "It's all because of you that we made it this far. I never thought that deal you made back then would give us all of this."

He glances at all the fruit. "Even then, this'll only last us a few months like last time."

"At least everyone will have something nice and fresh with the bland rations we have," Maya states.

"So," I state, gathering everyone's attention, "We're organizing the fruit today?" "Oh, yes! That is what we are doing," Maya says, smiling.

"Well then let's get to it," Ko says.

As we start to sort out the fruit, we have prepared three different containers. One for the apples, another for bananas, and the other for oranges.

After thirty minutes or so have passed, some more parasites arrive to assist in the sorting. Even as we work, there are still parasites harvesting the rest of the fruit from the World Tree.

Some time later, we finish sorting the batch and more fruit descend from the World Tree. A massive lift that scales the tree reaches the bottom.

That lift took quite a while to construct with our resources. Maintaining it is just as difficult.

The Parasites on the ground flock towards the lift and start unloading cargo. The now sorted fruit were loaded onto a truck and driven off to a storage building in the ruined city.

Now that all the parasites are getting to work, Ko and I leave. Kenji stays back to lead the parasites who will now be sorting the fruit in our place.

Maya leaves to gather the female parasites and begin cleaning duty in the housing stacks. She and about twenty other girls head towards the residential area.

As all the parasites get to work for the Sanctuary, Ko and I head towards the central tower of the city.

XXXX Command Center XXXX

I step into a room where computers and holo-displays are set up. Not the most efficient set up as it is very makeshift, like anything else in the Sanctuary. Nothing in the Sanctuary is permanent, hopefully we can build a better place to live in sometime in the future.

"I still don't get why we can't use the Plantation's command center. You know? Where we get briefed for missions and stuff," Ko states.

"You know? That would be a good idea," I say, "Now tell me, where in the hell is the command center in this ruined plantation?"

The damage to the plantation is so great that we have no way of accessing any other part of it, if any part is still intact. It is unknown if the plantation's command center is usable, let alone intact. Even if it was, we wouldn't be able to access it right now, or even find it.