Chapter 16 - When Bells Toll

I look up at a tall tower within the Sanctuary. Within the highest section of the tower is a large bell. The tower is very simple looking, but it has designs carved into its outerior.

"So, why exactly do we need a church bell in the Sanctuary?" I ask.

"For your wedding," Ko says.

"Lynn and I are already married," I say, showing the ring on my left hand.

"I would at least like to have a ceremony," Lynn states, "Besides none of us said our vows to each other. You just put a ring on and said we're married."

I glance towards Ko who stiffens up. "Do you at least have a ceremony hall to hold it in?" I ask.

"Wait, you're actually on board to have a wedding?" Ko asks.

"Well, I can't do anything if it's something Lynn wants," I reply, "I've spoiled her too much that it's come to be like this."

"To answer your question, a hall will be constructed by this bell tower," Ko states.

"Alright," I say, "Get it done. This'll be the first time the newly formed architecture team will be used."

"They've already begun planning the structure and drawing up blueprints," Ko says.

"Man you guys are really all about work," I say, "Am I training workaholics?"

"Well, just make sure they don't overwork themselves," I state.

I start to walk away, but Lynn grabs my hand. "Where are you going?" She asks, "Don't tell me you're going to observe Squad 13 again, we were literally discovered the other day."

"I'm not going to go into the Plantation this time," I say, "We'll observe from a distance."

Lynn sighs. "You're obsessed with them," She says.

"I'm rather interested in them, and bored enough to do nothing but watch them," I reply.

"You're creepy," Lynn says, "Just spend time with me."

"I spend time with you anyway, now come on."

Lynn sighs in defeat and follows me to the Sanctuary Docking Bay.

We get our parasite suits and walk up to the Unicornius. Lynn isn't too thrilled about heading out again, so to make her feel better I decide to ask her about something she wants.

"So why do you want a wedding so badly?" I ask.

"Just because," Lynn says.

"That's not really a reason I'm satisfied with," I reply.

"Because I love you. Is that a better reason?" Lynn says, "Why shouldn't we have a ceremony to celebrate our union. In the old days, they always held wedding ceremonies to celebrate marriages, so why shouldn't we?"

"Well if you say so," I reply, "It's not like I was really opposed to having one."

"You weren't?" Lynn says in shock.

"Did I ever say I never wanted to have a wedding?" I ask.

Suddenly, there is a loud noise that rings throughout the Sanctuary. Lynn and I direct our attention to the source of the noise.

At the top of the bell tower, some parasites are panicking as the bell dings loudly many times. Seems like they're trying to stop the bell.

"Well we know that it works," I say.

Lynn laughs and climbs into the Unicornius's cockpit. She takes her position on the pistil platform and I sit in the stamen seat.

"Did you summon the World Serpent? Lynn asks.