Chapter 1 - Our Life

I find myself looking over a wasteland. Through the walls of the cockpit that project the outside world to me, I see absolutely nothing besides sand. The face of our franxx appears to my left.

"So, is it coming?" She asks.

I huff and grin. "You're a little impatient today." I say. "Well of course I am, you woke me up at literally five in the morning for this." The franxx yawns.

"You'll live." I say, "Besides, if this airship has supplies, it'll be a great help to the Sanctuary." The franxx sighs. "Oh well, I'm wide awake now." "Here it comes." I announce.

The silver franxx looks up and stands stoically on a cliff. The silver giant is slim and has two armor plates that work as side skirts around the waist. The franxx's faceplate only has two slits for the eyes, and a long horn protruding from its helmet.

As the silver franxx glances upwards, a giant airship starts to fly overhead. "Time to fly." I say.

The wings on the franxx's back engage, the thrusters on the backpack booming to life. A light amount of constant thrust lifts the machine up slightly, but not off the ground. "Ready, Lynn?" I ask. "Ready when you are, Kira." The franxx replies.

The franxx jumps up into the air, and a massive amount of force bursts from the thrusters on the franxx's back. The thrusters in the feet fire up as well, and the machine flies towards the airship above them.

There is a loud boom as the franxx reaches the speed of sound within seconds. It wasn't even a minute when the franxx reached the altitude of the airship. "Let's land on it." I say. "Careful not to crash it." My partner says.

The franxx lightly lands on top of the airship, then punches its fist into the exterior, a large explosion follows. The machine rips open the airship and inspects the contents within. "Just what we need." I say.

Orange orb-shaped containers containing magma fuel. As the silver franxx reaches for one of the large orbs, it notices there are people hanging on for their lives. Some are not so fortunate as they fly out of the massive hole created by us.

The silver titan picks up two of the containers before withdrawing. The franxx jumps off the airship, the exerted force pushing the airship off course. The airship is already in a critical condition and it won't be long before it crashes.

"I'd say that was a success." I say. "Of course it's a success." Lynn replies, "We've been doing this for over a year." "I didn't really think they would be transporting magma energy this way, but I guess they really were."

"You know you guys have the strongest franxx in existence." Says a voice through the comms. To my right, the face of a male parasite appears. "Ko." I greet, "Didn't expect you to be out here."

The boy has jet black hair and blue eyes. He has a slim build, but he is actually stronger than he looks.

"We heard you went out to gather resources, so I came to support in any way I can." Ko, the stamen, replies. "How very thoughtful of you." I reply, "But you know very well that we can handle our own."

"As expected of the former Nines that even Alpha couldn't beat."

As we descend, I notice the modified standard franxx on the ground. It has a lot more armor on the body, placed roughly and jaggedly. The design is very makeshift as it was put together on a very short notice when it was needed for deployment.

The gray machine is equipped with a sniper rifle that hangs off its back. As we get closer, the large "x" painted across its chest becomes visible. "Your Model X could really use some maintenance." I say, glancing at the parts that look brittle as well as the plates of armor that are on the verge of falling off.