Prologue

Media Citation: Making Lemonade. "Passport Not Required - Making Lemonade." Makinglemonade.com, i.pinimg.com/564x/52/23/ac/5223acc465b339a943dc4b1a4a2ecf81.jpg.

Prologue

The halls are silent. At this time of the day, all the priests and priestesses are asleep. The only movement inside is the occasional guard that sweeps through the hall, golden spears in hand and clad in black, armored clothing. The rest of the Sentinels are on patrol outside or honing their skills in the training grounds.

The sun is approaching the horizon and the sky begins to redden and flush. Dusk is approaching. The moon will rise, and the sun will set, and the priestesses will begin their night rituals. And just as they do in the afternoon, they will sleep several hours of the morning before they will complete their day rituals.

All is routine. All is in order.

But it is all disrupted by a piercing scream.

Several guards sprint towards the chambers of the High Priestess, one in particular surging forward. She pushes past the guards who are posted at her door.

"Sashi." The woman is curled up in her bed, shaking violently.

"Serani," She cries out, reaching her hands out.

"I'm here, sister," The guard pulls her into her arms, realizing that it's a vision and not an intruder. Looking up at her guards, she jerks her head towards the door, "Clear out."

"Yes Ma'am."

She holds the High Priestess, rocking her gently as she sobs. Lately, her visions have been becoming more vivid. It has always been the burden of the High Priestess to govern the responsibilities of any vacant positions in the hierarchy, but Sashi had been getting an unfair amount. Having to hold the burden of all three Goddesses is too much for a single lycan, even one as strong as she is.

It has worsened when the High Prophet of Artemis had suddenly perished at the hands of Orion nine years ago. They had been in the middle of locating her, but by the time they found their lost sister, she had fallen victim to their eternal rival.

Another has been born, but she is still in training and not old enough to take the full brunt of the divine visions. She's too young but she also hasn't broken in as fast as Serani would have liked. And with the High Prophets of Hekate having been missing for decades, Sashi has no choice but to deal with carrying the responsibilities of the three highest titles in The Order.

Finally, she speaks, "Serani..."

"What did you dream of?"

Sashi's blazing, golden pupils searches the room, as if she is searching for someone who isn't there, "I found her."

Serani's blood goes ice cold. She looks at her charge in disbelief, "Where?"

"The Death Prophet," She shuts her eyes as exhaustion washes over her again, "Iphigenia speaks to me. She's...somewhere in Breccia."

"The Western Oregon Pack in America?" There has been recent activity from Orion there, so it doesn't come as much a surprise. But it is most certainly a concern.

"We must send for her, sister," Sashi whispers, sinking into the guard's arms and falling asleep, "She's...not safe anymore..."

"Is it Orion?" Serani asks urgently but Sashi's eyes only flutter shuts. With a whisper that was barely noticeable, the next words she utters make Serani shudder...Orion...Kaltain.

"How is she?" The Prophet of War pokes his head through the door. He takes in the beads of sweat trickling down his Head Priestess's temples.

"She needs her rest," Serani murmurs and glances up at the Prophet, "You and Darian will have to lead the night rituals tonight—"

"The Goddesses won't wither away and disappear if we skip one night, Serani—"

"No, but The Order and its practices will," She snips back. Orion already had dull the power of their temple by hunting down both the High Prophets. The faith of in The Moon was slowly fading with each generation that the packs survived without their direct connections to the Goddesses. "The prayers will go on as usual. But Serani will not attend them tonight."

"Yes, Head Sentinel," Dayton grumbles and leaves promptly. He has his own opinions about the war they face but wouldn't dare voice them to her. Especially when she's wound up about the Head Priestess's well-being.

Serani pulls the blankets over the small, Indian woman. She stays by her side for hours, sending any and all away when they come for their leader. She needs her rest.

But most of all, she needs her Missing Prophet.