Chapter 29

A/N: Sorry for the late update! I recently got a second job and been sorting out all the on-boarding for it (three cheers for paperwork). 

Let's jump further down this rabbit hole with Amelia and her ancestor...

Chapter 29

I look up at Zemira. She's watching the dark sky above us, her eyes calm but burdened. Age and worry have weathered lines into the corner of her eyes, and along her brow. She noticeably has no smile lines. A hardened ruler who had a tragic end like most of them usually did.

Her piercing, blue gaze meet mine, and she says evenly, "I am not to be pitied, Amelia. I made drastic, irrevocable errors in my lifetime. But my family never was one of them."

"Was Orion?" I find the courage to ask her.

She only turns to the sky again. I understand. The answer waits in the stars. In The Moon.

It has shifted entirely. Orion's Belt only touches the crescent moon on one end, creating a ninety-degree angle as it leans away.

+ + +

They bow as we stand upon our thrones of bones.

Orion's lips are turned up a rare, genuine smile. Those gorgeous, hazel eyes sweep over the sea of Wolves before us. Admiring his creation. Then he turns to me and those hazel irises swirl with flecks of amber.

I say nothing as I meet his gaze. Pride swells from him and through to me, filling me to the brim. I feel a sense of awe. These Wolves are mine to rule and command. I am more than a guide to them, or a physical manifestation of their Goddess. I am their Goddess. Both Prophet and Luna.

Yet the familiar sense of trepidation seeps in to ruin my festivity. A single glance to my children only enhances it. Ismael stands tall and powerful like his father. A madness gleams under the service of his gaze. Again, just like his father.

The twins stand closer to me than he does. He is an Alpha—a firstborn Alpha trained by his father to control rather than lead. Nadir and Lupe have their gazes cast lower than any of ours. The Omegas of our little unit.

Nearly two decades have passed since I abandoned my calling at The Order. Eighteen years and I still wander what would have happened if I had torn Orion's throat from his neck rather than Mark it.

My head is weighed down by the deaths that my eldest and my mate committed to reach this level of foreboding. A crown with the name of every soul they had murdered...written on my conscience.

All Hail The Queen That Wanted Peace But Created War.

+ + +

I hide under my hood, evading any creature in the night. Never in my life have I had to hide. I was born and raised to be found—a gem that had been set in the center of a sceptre. But tonight is not the night to be seen. I only pray to Hekate that she would keep me invisible to my mate's spies.

Death would be too kind if he or my son found out who I have gone to see.

In the sand caves that I had once worshipped in, I find my forbidden visitor. Mirabella, The Prophet of Selene. My High Priestess.

"Sister," She says with reservation, and eyes me with caution.

"Sister," I hold back my sigh of relief, "I'm glad you arrived safely."