Chapter 12

Chapter 12

My whole life amounts to two duffle bags and a handbag. It's an odd realization I have as I put them in the trunk of one of the Diurnal SUVs.

Clothes, a couple photos and personal belongings, Steph's notebooks, and my scrying bowls. Everything else is left in the house or on the boat. Everything else is memories and sentimental items—which when it comes to it, have no real purpose.

The Wolf driving the car Rachel and I will be in closes the trunk. Around us, car doors are opening and shutting. They're all ready to leave. Everything is packed—everything is set. All that's left are the farewells.

Rachel hugs Aiden tightly, "I'll call you guys when we cross borders."

"And when you get there," He smooths down her hair and plants a kiss on the crown of her head, "Be safe."

"You too," She begins to cry, and I turn away.

Mallory is standing beside me, a small chest in her arms. She smiles at me when I glance at her, and hands it over, "This is for you."

I don't have to open it to know what its contents are. Knowing Mallory, it's a nice little stock of herbs and tools and everything I'll need until I establish another stockpile at Diurnal. Other than my scrying tools and the lupine plant I've taken and nurtured from the Siuslaw Forest, I'm not able to take much else that attains to my Prophet duties. The notebooks that Steph had created and the journal I have made for myself are the only other things I can fit.

Everything else I have hidden remains where it is. There was no time to grab it.

"Keep this with you at all times," Mallory murmurs, side-eyeing the Diurnal Wolves. They all surround the cars like hulking, intimidating guards. "You don't know who will dig through your bags when you're not looking."

I wrap my arm around her shoulders and pull her in close, "Thank you...for everything."

"Don't get sappy now," She grumbles, but pats my head softly, "It's going to be quiet here without you. But I'll see you in a couple months—I'm planning on visit the Diurnal healer for Yule."

"That's December, right?"

"Yeah, it is." She ruffles up my hair, "Try to not drive Nancy insane."

I nod, just as Mira and Ilya come up to me. Mallory quickly retreats, giving me one last smile before she leaves altogether. I turn to the Alphas, taking a deep breath as I meet their intense gazes.

"You're going to be on your own out there, Amelia," Ilya murmurs, "But I'm sure you're used to that by now...Just know that we'll help you whenever you need it."

Mira cups my shoulders, "My Wolves have a strange way of showing it...but we won't let one of our own get hurt. We care about you, Amelia. Please don't forget that you have a home with us in Breccia."

"I appreciate it," I murmur, turning my eyes to my feet, "I know that dealing with me hasn't been easy—I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused you...I didn't mean to—"

She shocks me by pulling me into her arms, "Stop apologizing, Amelia."

"Yes...Alpha," I sink into her embrace for a moment, shutting my eyes and leaning in the strength of this strong female. I can only hope to become as sturdy and unbending as she is.

She looks at me and speaks firmly, "Take care of yourself and Rachel. And Amelia?"

"Yes?"

"Don't trust any of them." She must see my eyes flicker briefly to Kiana and Adrian because she adds, "Including him."