Chapter 41

A/N: Thank you to everyone voting on the chapters! Your support really helps! 

Chapter 41

The fire is warm and crackles gently as I curl up on the couch. Eamonn is fast asleep on my side, breathing deeply while a Christmas movie plays on the television. Rachel and Olivia are cuddling on the floor, and several Diurnal Wolves spread out around the packhouse lounge to watch the movie.

It's snowing outside, and the entire world around us is a blanket of white, sparkling ice. I can barely make out my apartment across the yard, let alone the mountains in the distance. The snow hasn't let up in three days, and the snow is building up.

Rachel and I were pleasantly surprised that the pack helped us clear a path from our apartment to the packhouse every morning. I suppose they had to, considering that their pack Healer would have been blocked in by the snow as well. But they had also deiced our stairs every morning, so that had to mean something.

Mira's visit had caused ripples through the pack. It's clear that her arrival was even less welcome than our own. The atmosphere shifted as word of Mira's burns spread. I had noticed that I had gained some favor with those that were hesitant with me before. Clearly, it was a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The longer I dwell on it, the surer I am that Mira is in fact my enemy.

She's gone now. It's the Yuletide celebrations, which is the Wolf version of Christmas. They celebrate Christmas too, but I quickly gathered that their Yuletide is very important. It stretches over twelve days and consisted of various traditions that are similar to Christmas traditions. We decorated the house with trees—another thing the Diurnal Wolves had graced my apartment with—and garlands. Candles are spread across every empty surface, and all the cabins and buildings are lined with white lights. I'm convinced that you can see the Diurnal packland like an evening star even through this heavy snowstorm.

Nancy had me and the other Healers making mistletoe and sage decorations. It's a tradition in Diurnal to braid them intricately into something that looks familiarly like a Celtic knot. I suspect that it had been carried over when their pack received a healthy number of Arianrhod Wolves, including their Alpha.

I'm currently working on one. I had lost count how many I have made, but it doesn't bother me. The Wolves all love them so much and hang them on every doorway.

"The fire's going out," I hear one of the females murmur to her mate, Jeff. I'm not too surprised that all the fireplaces are burning with Yule logs, but I was surprised that the Wolves keep every fire going throughout the duration of the Yuletide.

Eamonn, who's in charge of keeping his father's fire lit as well as his own, shifts against me. The poor guy has been exhausted, waking up at odd hours of the night to fuel the office fireplace, and the bedroom fires too. He slowly opens his eyes and smiles as his green gaze meets mine.

"You have a good nap there, nene?" I laugh as he yawns.

"I'm hungry."

"I second that," Olivia looks at me with a big frown. Rachel only chuckles and joins the puppy face-making.

"Did your legs all fall off?"

"Excuse you—we've been digging driveways and roads out the whole day," Rachel exclaims.

I look at Eamonn, "What do you think, Alpha? Have they earnt their keep?"

Eamonn giggles and nods vigorously, "Yeah, I think so."

"Boss man has spoken," I set the sage beside and stand up with Eamonn, "Let's get the ladies some food."

"Amelia," Jeff speaks, "If you're getting food..."