Chapter 39

A/N: Hey all! I'll be taking a week off to let my wrist recover! Next update will be 02/22!

Chapter 39

Missing you at our bonfires!

I stare at the text from Dom. I read it over and over again while I think of what to say. Part of me wants to call her and find out how she and Camilla are doing. Nicole...that was the Wolf who had died saving me from Orion—and Camilla's mother.

I can't forget her cries and pleas to let her daughter know that she's watching over her. The way she curled up into Camilla's side and not being seen.

"Amelia?" Nancy calls me from the front room, "You have a visitor!"

I quickly tap a response to Dom—Missing you guys too. How's Cam? How's Jace?

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Jace, but he hasn't responded to my texts. I just need to know that he's alright. Ever since that priestess got so close to him in Breccia, the bond between us has been poking at my conscious—as if to remind itself that he's still around.

"Sorry—I just had to—" My cellphone slips through my fingers and bounces off the ground the moment I look up from the screen.

Around me...stand so many bloody corpses. They stare gormlessly at me—through me. Torn apart and bloodied...so many dead Wolves that they line up outside the clinic. I don't know how to react—I'm so overwhelmed by the stench of their rotting corpses and the grotesqueness of their shredded flesh...the bones that stick through their muscle and tissue.

I feel like I'm about to be sick. My head begins to spin and my mouth waters—bile rises up my throat.

"Mellie," Steph is behind me. Her fingers dig into my shoulders to comfort me, "It's okay—"

The sound of the rope twisting and spinning drowns out her voice. I know this sound—I hate this sound...I can't look at her because I know she's going to look just like them. Dead. Bloody and lifeless.

"Amelia?" Nancy bends down and picks up my cellphone. She holds it in front of me and I am able to rip my eyes away from the horrific sight. "What's wrong, sweetie? You look like you just saw a...well a ghost—so to speak."

My phone screen lights up with a text message. Dom: Holding up. How's Alpha?

Again, I snap my eyes up from the screen. The corpses are gone. The room smells of herbs and medical supplies again...and Mira standing beside Mac. But it brings me no sense of relief...if anything, my heart races even faster and my throat closes up.

Why did all these dead Wolves surround her?

"A-Alpha," I bow my head and shove my phone in my pocket, "I didn't know you were coming."

"Amelia," She engulfs me in her arms. I'm stunned as she rubs her cheek against both of my mine, but don't move. Mac only glares at the both of us. "It wasn't part of the plan, but Adrian told me about you having to escape back to the mountains to escape The Order. I wanted to come check on the three of you. We haven't heard from you in so long."

Lies. Lies. Lies. It takes everything in my being to not flinch away from her as the spirits around me chant. Lies. Lies. Lies.

"Rachel told me that she and Mallory called you the other day—"

"I'm not talking about them," Her smile is tight, "It's strange to have one of my beta's not speak to me in such a long time."

My feet shuffle away from her. The spirits are quiet...petrified of her even in death. Suddenly, I am too.