Chapter 21

Chapter 21

The ground shakes beneath the feet of all Alphas. They are the ultimate authority of the pack. The Alphas are the only Werewolves that are perfectly in-sync with their Guides. Two halves fitting together—human and beast—like two oceans meeting. Equals but Separate.

What separates the Alphas from the Wolves they rule over is this gift they receive by the hand of The Goddesses.

Balance.

The only ones to rival their strength are those who act as the presence of the Goddesses on Earth. The Priestesses.

The Breccian packhouse looms over me. Mira and Ilya stand tall like statues of Roman warriors. Aidan and several Sentries are hunched forward, and I can't tell if it's from pain or a need to shift. Their expressions are all on guard as more Wolves gather around the silver cars that have pulled up to the house.

The door opens and Sashi comes out. She moves more aggressively and abruptly than I have pictured her to. Her eyes are sharp and narrowed—and notably a dark copper rather the gold I had seen them as in pictures and visions. She wears black tactical clothes, holstered with a knife and a handgun. Her hair is tied back tightly, pulling at her features. She looks like a serpent.

The Alphas don't waiver as those slitted eyes turn their way onto theirs.

"We have come for the girl," She speaks loudly and clearly enough for all the Breccians to hear.

"She's not yours to have right now," Mira's shoulders are thrown back like Sashi, as if the two are competing. Posturing.

"She was never yours to have," Sashi growls, "The girl belongs with The Order."

Mira opens her mouth to speak but the sound of the car door opening stops her. My ears are greeted with the faint sound of bells, and my nose is assaulted with the smell of silver. It's so powerful that it tastes like blood on my tongue.

If the ground shakes when Alphas walk then the Earth spilts wide open the moment her bare feet touch the ground. She is completely covered in silk veils from head to toe. They're the color of gold and brass; thin enough to just make out the outline of her body and face. A solid, golden cloak lags behind her, hood pulled up and over her head.

I look around and watch as the Wolves around me bow their heads as far as they can, and only look up once the veiled woman has stood to her full height. She's the same height as Sashi but her presence seems so much more. Her very existence pushes these Wolves to submission.

A Priestess.

"Where is she, Alpha?" She speaks to the crown of Mira's head as both my Alphas keeps her neck bent. "She isn't here. So where have you hidden her?"

I watch in complete astoundment as Mira's jaw trembles. She can't form words. I glance around and notice beads of sweat forming on the temples of the Breccian Wolves. Some have even collapsed to their knees.

"Mallory?" The Priestess turns to the Healer just as two other veiled figures emerge from the cars. Like her, they have robes and hooded cloaks but the color of white.

"It's like you said," Mallory grits out, "She's not here."

One of the priestesses move from their foreboding group and sniffs the air around us. She seems to be able to see through the strong scent of silver and blood. Immediately, her eyes land on Jace.

"Where is she?" Her voice is deep and husky, almost like Natalia's. Jace remains quiet and continues to stare at the ground respectfully. Her low chuckle only shakes the trees around us and unsettles the birds.