Chapter 16

A/N: Sorry for the hiatus in posting! I work in my retail and the holiday season has been *bonkers*! 

I hope you all are enjoying your holiday shopping and end-of-the-year celebrations!

Chapter 16

We finally arrive in the heart of Diurnal's territory. The Wolves are in far better spirits as they pull into the familiar roads of their home. Kiana gives Mac a call and enthusiastically tells him that we are no more than five minutes out.

Rachel and I are both awestruck as we drive through the main packlands. To say it's huge doesn't do it much justice. There are dozens of cabins and settlements spread through the valleys and hills, all spaced out but filled with Wolves and gardens and trees. Every so often, we drive past a small strip of shops.

When we pull up to the packhouse, Kiana gives us a cocky smirk. It's just as large as the Breccian packhouse, but somehow grander. The pack has made sure the gardens are maintained and everything is trimmed and cared for.

The SUVs line up outside on the loose, gravelled road. Stones crunch under the wheels and the Wolves gather with excited murmurs. Adrian is the first to step out. The Wolves around him yip loudly to greet him and promptly bow their heads. He does too and smiles widely at them all after he straightens his neck. Eamonn scrambles along the gravel and clumsily launches himself at his dad.

Kiana rolls the window down as Mac walks up to her side of the car and knocks on the door, "Hey, you."

"Hey, you," He nods and then leans down to meet her lips. Mateo unclicks her seatbelt as Mac wraps his around her and pulls her through the window.

I look away from them and at Rachel. She frowns at me. After our greeting at Mount Logan, I feel just as anxious as she does.

She shuffles to my side of the car as I open the door, muttering under her breath, "Stay by my side."

I look at her and whisper, "We'll be okay."

"Well if we aren't, I'll be sure to find you a bedside lamp," She surprises me with her joke.

"There's plenty of trees here too," I mumble back and she smirks.

"Lots of firewood."

After I told her the basics of what I am, she stopped interrogating me and seemed a little surer of herself. I didn't tell her everything about Orion, but she understands that he's after me. I told her about The Order and why it's important that I don't go until Mallory feels I'm ready. And although I'm sure she has plenty of questions, what I told her seemed to sate her for now.

She even came up with the cover story of how the glass and lights in our room had shattered—a tremor. Adrian had a little too much fun going around and smashing more lights and windows to make the story more convincing. It was a ridiculous excuse, but no one questioned him. Everyone trusts the Diurnal Alpha and his calls.

Now, Rachel grips onto my hand as we clamber out of the car. Wolves turn to us the moment our scent reach their sensitive noses. Eyes narrow and the excitement dies down, now replaced with caution.

My eyes find Mac's as Adrian speaks to his Wolves, "This is Amelia and Rachel. From our ally, Breccia."

Mac's eyes narrows and he seems to grow in size the longer he stares me down. Kiana's hand holds him back, but I suspect that he's only keeping himself glued to the spot to not upset her or the pack. He can easily brush her off and come rip my head off.

Iphigenia sneers at my thoughts. He can come try.

"Amelia!" Eamonn darts towards me. He wraps his arms around me and grin widely, "Hi."