Chapter 26

Chapter 26

The advantage of hiding from Lara is that neither Rachel or I were expected at the pack dinner. It gave me plenty of time to plan how to sneak into Lara's room.

"This is a terrible idea," Rachel grunts while I fix the black beanie over her flaring, red hair. I say nothing and tuck in all her loose locks into the thick, wool material. "What if it's on her? It means that we've snuck into a Luna's bedroom for no reason! We can get into serious trouble for th—"

"It's not on her."

"How do you know that!"

"Because I asked," I glance over at my sister, who is embraced by an ethereal, glowing halo in the darkness. "It's in her bedside table."

Rachel jerks away. She's scared, or at the very least...uncomfortable. I bend down and make sure that my boot laces are secure. One sniff in the air and I tell that Adrian isn't anywhere close.

"You don't have to come, Rach." I had plenty of eyes to make sure the coast remains clear for me. "Only one of us has to get in trouble."

"If what you say is true—and this Luna is here to harm you in any way...I have no choice!" Rach grabs my hand and leads the way down the stairs,
"Mira put in me in charge of your safety. And I'm not going to let you walk into a ranked female's den—crazy, grim reaper powers or not."

I almost laugh but remember to hold it while we sneak across the yard. Wearing the clothes Kiana had lent me seems to do the trick and masks Rachel's and my scents enough for us to sneak through the crowd of Diurnal.

My heart almost stops when my shoulder knocks into a Palus Sentry. Rachel casts me a sideways glance as we continue to walk away...anticipating him to call us back but he never does.

"Longest two minutes of my life," She growls lowly, "If shit goes south then you need to get back to the apartment. Or find Adrian."

"If shit goes south then you and I are high-tailing it back to Breccia," I highly doubted Adrian would be able to keep me if Palus blabbed to The Order about my whereabouts.

We reach the packhouse. Inside is warm and smells of macaroni and freshly baked bread. Kiana is chatting with a couple females in the kitchen, while a few youngsters bring in dirty dishes. I tug Rachel's hand and walk faster, but we walk right past Kiana in the opening. My teeth crack under the pressure of me clenching them...please don't see us...please don't see us.

Her head begins to turn our way—her pale, green eyes scanning the room. Just as her eyes land on me, a loud crash makes her jump out of her skin. Plates crash from the counter. The females and teenagers scatter as several items in the kitchen fall of the marble surface near the teens.

"Janey Mack!" Kiana kicks her boots into a nearby cupboard door that flies open, "Why are you breaking my plates, you morons!"

"It wasn't us Beta! I—I don't know what happened!"

Another cupboard swings open and catches Kiana on the head. She damn well near rips it off its hinges, and the kitchen is consumed by her menacing growl.

"Go quickly," Cynbel's voice wisps quietly in my ear, "While she's distracted."

I don't need a second invitation. Rachel and I manage to round the corner to the staircase just as Mac comes storming into the packhouse. The commotion brings a small crowd. I'll have to hurry—who knows if Lara will get spooked by an accident in the packhouse.

"Let's hurry," I take the stairs two at a time.

"What the hell happened back there?" Rachel tugs on my sleeve, "Amelia! I want to know what you did—"