Chapter 52

Warning: This chapter contains mature themes including violence, toxic relationships, abuse, and other triggering themes. Readers' discretion is advised!

Chapter 52

Maybe I'm a lot more like Zemira than I have ever been willing to admit.

It's a thought that crosses my mind as I watch Jace sleeping quietly in front of me. He's here...but I feel nothing. I'm callous, just like she was.

The difference is that she craved Orion's love...I only crave Jace in the most basic and primal ways. The Heat has completely lifted any fog or doubts I had over my feelings for him. I care for him deeply but not in the ways I had before.

My trust and faith in what we had has been completely shattered.

Which is why this can't go on.

I crawl over him, rousing him from his sleep, and brush my fingers through his hair. He grins lazily and encircles my waist with his hands. Our kiss is slow and easy. But it doesn't feel right...out of place like a piano key that was tuned incorrectly.

"I need to go," I whisper against his lips and tug lightly on the ends of his spiky hair.

He blinks, "Where?"

"I need to check on Kiana—she texted me just now and asked for me to go over," I murmur, "I need to go to Nancy's and help at the clinic—"

"You're still peaking."

"No, I'm not," I sit up and begin to pull on my clothes. He watches me quietly until I finally speak, "Jace...last night was just what we agreed. It doesn't change anything..."

"Don't say that," He pulls me back to him and captures my lips, "You're in Heat—you shouldn't be making decisions like this—"

"Jace," I jerk away. He's deathly quiet and I look at floor, "It's because of my Heat I couldn't make this decision...but it's over now. And I just...I don't know how to do this anymore."

"Do what—"

"Make this work," I've showered already but I feel so dirty. I can barely look at him as I tug on my jacket, "I'm sorry..."

He flops against the bed and shakes his head, "Don't be...we both agreed that last night was a once-off thing. But I'm not done fighting for you—for us."

I don't say anything more. I get out that apartment like it's on fire, and I don't stop until I reach Kiana's cabin.

The last person I want to see is Adrian and I pray that he doesn't answer the door. Thankfully, it's Kiana.

"You look much better," I smile as she lets me inside, "You have a nice cabin too—I wondered if you guys stayed in the packhouse year-round."

"We got this place in hopes of starting a family," She says quietly, "But as the years went by and I continued to miss more and more Heats, we eventually settled in the packhouse. It's close to Adrian and Eamonn, so..."

Her head is tilted up towards me. I don't say anything to her as I press my hands against her abdomen. The air is thick with questions that she already has the answers to.

"How are you feeling?" When I don't answer her question, she runs her hand through my hair, "This is a good thing, Amelia. You two need a fresh start—maybe this is it."

"It doesn't feel right. My Heat is over, and I feel absolutely nothing towards him," I rub more cream into the base of her spine, "I feel like a sl—"

"Don't even say it," She turns around and slaps my head, "You're not. Now I'm not saying that Heat is a reason to misbehave...but lines blur during this time. Any right-minded male knows that the temptation to end a Heat is sometimes too great for us girls."