Chapter 451-460

Chapter 451: I'm At Your Side No Matter What

"He's not letting me work or leave the house, suspects me and even thinking about using me to steal Eighth Brother's secrets. You're really lucky Second Brother, while I'm no more than a prisoner to the old man."

"Were you never in touch with Eighth Brother?"

"Don't you know what he's like? How am I useful to him?" Third Brother defended himself.

"I'll try to plead your case with Grandfather."

"Save it, since I could just lie around and wait until I get married off..." Third Brother could not help giving up and stop caring, because he had to think for his own parents as well.

"Grandfather changed ever since Eighth Brother left. Don't you hate him?" Sheng Kai asked Third Brother then."

"He didn't change because anyone left—his impulse to lord over everything was too great from the very start, it's just that there are some in the family are willing to follow, while others aren't. What, is everyone supposed to be his puppets? Second Brother, Eighth Brother has never wronged you, but you are the one who could not get over it."

Sheng Kai chuckled feebly and left Third Brother's room.

Third Brother was not hating Eighth Brother despite the situation he was in?

Sheng Kai was not so forgiving.

"Did you check on Third Brother? How is he?"

Gu Ziling asked as she helped Sheng Kai off his trench coat, when he returned to their room. "I've never seen Grandfather so angry..."

"Everyone in the family is Grandfather's chess piece, and obedience is the only way out. That's the same for you."

After all, Old Sheng would not care even if Gu Ziling was a member of the Gu family.

Gu Ziling sighed in reply, "I feel that Grandfather was forced into this. I can understand him."

And with Sheng Kai unable to bear a single child, she wondered if the old man would take back the seat of Huang Yao's CEO if he caught on.

Of course, Sheng Kai knew that very well.

That was why he was actively treating it and taking medicine.

Still, no one else knew.

Meanwhile, even as Third Brother lay sprawling over his bed, he kept thinking about what his future wife would be like.

Please, whatever happens, don't let it be someone like Gu Ziling.

***

When it was time for dinner at the Sheng family, Sheng Kai took the opportunity to ask the old man in Third Brother's stead, "Grandfather, have you anyone in mind for Third Brother to marry?"

"Would there still any good daughter in Jianchuan? Ziling is already with us, and there's not much choice of the right age."

"So there's no one you have in mind yet?"

"The daughter of the Hu family is worth considering."

Sheng Kai did a double take at the name. "The Hu family? The property magnate?"

"That's right."

"But I heard that his daughter... is touched in the head."

Old Sheng promptly glared at Sheng Kai. "You and your shortsightedness. The child is fine—she is just a little naïve, and there's nothing unsuitable about her for Third Brother."