Chapter 14 - Confusion

"What are you talking about Rain?"

"What....I am talking about your boy, of course. Is he like you exclusive now?...because the last I saw him he was working at Son Kla Lor (red-light district of the area)."

"Rain, shut the fuck up....don't spit nonsense." Pete seethed in anger.

"I am talking nonsense, yeah? You should see your boy at night, my friend. By the number of cars he gets into, he has unbelievable stamina. Woah Woah....don't take it out on me" He moved back as he saw Pete clench his fist.

"Today is Friday, right? Why don't you go and see for yourself? He is usually by that alley near the parking lot, where they do it in the car, a quick job. In and out, maximum customers, maximum money."

He snickered as he turned and walked, leaving an enraged Pete on the steps, his heart exploding with emotions he couldn't comprehend.

The night was always young at Son Kla Lor. The fluorescent-lit alleyways served as the perfect backdrop for the men and women, dolled up and flaunting themselves, looking for clients. The motels and brothels were fully occupied on Friday night, and the rest did the business in the cars or shacks, in the restrooms, or wherever they could find a place. The narrow paths opened into strip bars with music, dance, drag performances, drinks, and more. The scent of cheap perfume, mingled with sweat and bodily fluids was floating in the air.

Pete rolled around the alley near the parking lot in his car. He wasn't familiar with the place. He wasn't even sure what he was doing here. After his encounter with Rain, he had tried to convince himself that he should not give in to the taunts. Nor concern himself with whatever Kao was doing. He drove around the city all evening trying to stop thinking about it. Yet when the night fell, he could stop himself from coming here. He had borrowed Off's car, without giving him any explanation. He nervously looked around after stopping in the parking lot.

That's when he saw him. Kao.

He was wearing the same pink color t-shirt with a cat print that he was wearing to the cafe. He carried a bag and was tapping at the doors of the car a few meters in front of Pete's. The car did not open. Kao then went to the next car and tapped on the window again. Pete felt his breath stop as the doors of the car opened and Kao climbed in. Anger, hurt, disappointment, frustration - a myriad of emotions swirled inside him. He just sat there with hands gripped on the steering wheel, as Kao came out and made his way to the next car. All the while he could hear people tapping on his own car window.

Kao got out of the car in front of Pete's and made his way to the car Pete was in. He tapped on the window.

Pete rolled down the window to a stunned Kao.

"What is your hourly rate?" Pete asked mockingly.

"Pete, what are you doing...." Pete was out of the car before Kao could finish.

"Come on...tell me your rate...And what services do you provide? Any specials today?"

"Pete, what the hell are you...you know what...I am just leaving"

Kao was about to walk away when he felt two strong arms turn him around and pin him to the car. He was stuck between the car and an enraged Pete breathing heavily into his neck.

It was like a dam had burst in Pete's brain.

The barrage of emotions he had been holding back these last few hours came pouring out.