Chapter 18 - Picture

Pete was feeling a tranquil calm as the plane touched down in Bangkok. The last week had been exhausting mentally and physically, but he had finally got some sense of clarity. He had opened his heart to Off, and the fact that his best friend and his parents were supportive gave him courage. Courage to face the truth about himself. Courage to accept himself and maybe what he felt for Kao. 

The shadows of self-doubt were slowly retreating.

His heart skipped a beat as his thoughts wandered to Kao. There was something different about what he felt for Kao, emotions he never experienced before, and it wasn't just the sexual attraction. Kao was the most kind, thoughtful person he had ever met. He was different. There was something so pure, so genuine about him. Pristine, just like a daisy.

He had been pushing away the images of Kao and their night together, but it was an impossible endeavor. It was the first thing he thought of when he got up, the last image he dreamt of before falling to sleep. The scenes flashed by when he had his food, when he traveled, even when he sat in the meetings. It was as if the thoughts of Kao had consumed every second of his being. He did toy with the idea of messaging or calling Kao, but then decided it would be better to see him in person. He had to explain to Kao the confusion he felt over the last two weeks and that was something he wanted to do sitting in front of him, not on a phone.

Maybe spending more time with Kao would be a start of a new path for his heart and for him. Pete smiled unconsciously as he thought of Kao and them together.

He switched his phone back on to hear the continuous dings of multiple notifications. Off's and Max's phones were also getting alerts non-stop. They all looked at each other, the same thought passing through their minds.

Something was amiss.

                                  *******************************

Kao could feel his knees shaking as he made his way inside the Vihokratana mansion. It was very different from the feeling he had two weeks ago when he first came here on that fateful night. He could feel his tears surging, in embarrassment, in guilt, in frustration, but he took a deep breath to steady himself.

He needed to stay strong to explain to Pete what happened.

He was taken aback as he saw the whole platoon of the legal team, Pete's father, and Off in the room. They all stopped talking and stared at him as he entered. In contempt. In anger. In suspicion. He bowed to Mr. Vihokratana but was greeted by a stern look. He looked at Off. Off nodded at him and Kao nodded back. In that room of grim-looking faces, it was a relief to see one face looking kindly at him. He just stood there, his head down.

"Pete is inside, Kao. I think you should first talk to him in private. After that, we will discuss what to do next." Kao nodded solemnly and followed Off to where Pete was. His every step felt like it weighed a ton as he made his way to Pete's home office.

He had been dreading this moment since he was woken up by a loud bang at his door in the morning. Gun and Alice were there outside, both looking visibly upset. Gun was on the verge of tears as he handed the morning newspaper of Thai Dispatch.

Kao let out a wail and sunk to the floor in despair as he opened the paper. On page 3 was the picture of him and Pete. Half naked on the bed.

The selfie that he took while Pete was asleep.

His precious memory.

Splashed on the page of the newspaper with a headline "Exclusive Scoop - Billionaire heir engaged to a local activist?" Followed by the news - "Love is in the air for the Vihokratana heir. Sources close to Kao Thitipoom have confirmed that the local activist is engaged to the CEO of the Vihokratana industries, Pete Vihokratana. The junior Vihokratana was earlier engaged to Mint Phakasorn. The news of Pete Vihokaratna's engagement with a man has sent ripples of shock in the business world. How this marriage would affect the future of the Vihokratana empire remains to be seen. We are still awaiting a comment from the Vihokratanas who has neither confirmed nor denied the news." It was followed by more speculations on Pete's sexual orientation, on Pete and Mint's break up, on the company shares. Kao's brain couldn't register any of those but. Everything went blur but the picture. Of him and Pete. Them. Their night. Their moment.

"Kao. Go in" Off gently pushed him into Pete's office.

Pete was standing behind the desk, the newspaper in his hand. Kao looked up readying himself to face Pete's ire. However, it wasn't just anger that he saw there.

Pete's eyes were filled with disappointment. In Kao.