Nemesis

"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone."

-Rose Kennedy

****

There are people who ask for justice and not revenge.
Justice requires choosing to act good in contrast to bad, with the illusion that this will clean their conscience.
Although these two concepts have a different connotation when we look back in Ancient Greece.
Justice and revenge merge under one name, Nemesis.
Commonly known as the goddess of revenge, but also of justice. A compensating justice. A sort of equilibrium.

Right now, what I've always thought of as my Nemesis, is walking down a gray alley. He's followed by a doctor and a guard. His head is down, and his dark hair is covering his face.
My heart races, knowing that my life is in his hands, and I can't stop thinking this is a shitty idea.
He walks past my cell, and I can see him turn his face and glance at me.
That's all I need to know that our plan is still on.
A guard opens the cell in front of me.
The glass doors slide away, and a guard takes off the metal handcuffs from his wrist.
My palms are sweaty as I slowly lay on my side on the concrete floor and start shaking.

"What is wrong with her?" I hear a muffled voice speaking, and I see the guard turn around to see me convulsing on the floor.
"The last test's side effects, probably." The man in the white coat hums, walking over my cell.
My eyes roll into the back of my head as my body keeps shaking like I'm invaded by high-voltage electricity.
The doctor sighs, annoyed "Open the cell." He orders the guard that rushes to the pad on the side of the door, opening it.
The doctor walks in and squats next to me.
He flashes a light across my pupils, bending over my body.

It's just a matter of seconds. My hand reaches the doctor's throat, and my fingers wrap around tightly.
I slowly stand up, keeping my hold as his nails scrape the skin off my arm. I lift him up and throw him against the concrete wall.
The guard walks over me, aiming his gun in my direction, shouting at me to get on my knees.
I smirk, and he gets on his knees and then on the ground unconscious.

"Don't stand there. We don't have time. Take the uniform." I growl at the man standing in front of me, nodding at the guard. I walk over to the doctor, taking his coat and badge.
An alarm goes off, and red light start flickering in the cell.
I step out as the doors automatically closes behind me.
"Did you take his gun?" I ask, walking to the elevator at the end of the corridor. The man nods, and I see the gun in his hand.
The steel doors open, and we head inside.
I press the first button on the pad, and we start going up.
When the doors open, some guards are standing a few feet in front of us.
They're ready to fire, but I hold up my hand and close my fist.
Their guns fall to the ground, and I hear gunshots behind me.
They fall on the ground, lifeless.

I get out of the elevator and walk forward, stepping over the bodies without looking back.
This is the first floor. I've been there before, but I've no idea where the exit is.
I take a left, but a strong arm pulls me back, and my back meets the wall.
I jerk my head to my left, seeing two blue eyes staring at me. His long hair is sticking to his sweaty forehead.
Two guards run past the alley without noticing us.
I shake my head. I should have heard them coming. The adrenaline running in my blood is making me careless.
My chest feels a bit light when I turn the corner and see an open door to the outside.
I can see the blue sky, and it's clear of clouds.
I nudge the man following me, pointing at the door. "There, we found it," I mutter, grinning.
I walk over, just to feel a burning sting in my shoulder, followed by a gunshot. My eyes fall on my arm, seeing blood running down to my elbow.