The Lies You Fed Me

"Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime."
-Mineko Iwasaki

****

Nova's POV

Muffled yelling brings me back to reality, and suddenly I feel pain run through my body, paralyzing me. "Get up!" I hear someone scream in my ears, and I turn my head to the side, realizing my opponent it's only a few feet from me, ready to hit again.
I widen my eyes, rolling on my stomach and seeing the hax missing my face of a few inches. This fucker is not playing around.
Somehow I get back on my feet, pulling out my knives, scanning the space around me. "Where are the others?" I ask in the comms, trying to catch my breath. 
We split about twenty minutes ago, and I got stuck in Central Park trying to not get killed by drooling aliens. "On Colombus Ave, heading to you," Nat reports, breathing heavily.

I glance at the big dude charging at me, getting ready to fight him. "Great," I sigh, shifting my body to the side, kicking him in his knee, and sliding his throat.
Nat speaks again over the comms. "We will be there as soon as we clean the 72nd street. Hang on." She groans, and the communications go silent again. 
"Sounds fun," I say, seeing more of them running through the trees.
I hear leaves crunching behind me, and I turn on my heels, my breath hitches. "Fuck!" I yelp, almost getting punched in the face, and feel a sharp pain in my abdomen. 

My right foot gets tangled in something, and I fall to the ground. "That's not good," I grumble, getting grabbed by my leg and thrown against a tall tree. 
Breath gets stuck in my lungs, and now I'm surrounded by more of them.  
My head hurts like hell, and my vision gets blurry for a moment. "Huh, guys? I got a situation here. Those things are..." I push my blade down one of the aliens' neck, dumping the body to the side. "big." I huff, struggling to get my focus back. 

Warm blood is staining my suit above my ribs, and I press my hand on it, feeling it hurt at the touch. Shit.
I keep fighting, trying my best to not let them take me down. "Bucky," I call, isolating the rest of the team from the team. 
"Yeah?" He answers after a few seconds. 
I take down another one. and run through the trees. "Where are you?" I inquire, feeling my chest get tighter.
"Somewhere close to the zoo," Bucky pants.
I lean against a tree, trying to take a few deep breaths, but the sound of heavy steps echoing around me makes me move again. "Listen, I saw two of them going in your direction. They are bigger and faster. You have to regroup and take someone with you." I whisper, trying to find a good hiding spot.

"Are you ok?" Bucky urges.
An alien passes a few feet from me, missing me. I crouch down, covering my mouth with my mouth to suppress a hiss. "Nova?" I hear Bucky call my name again, but I'm too scared to speak.
I start to feel dizzy and notice how much blood I'm still losing. This is more than usual. I only now realize how much my powers played a big part in healing me. "I'm bleeding too much." I shudder, not realizing that I'm speaking out loud.

"Your position is off, Nova. Where are you?" Bucky prods, and I can feel commotion on his side of the comms.
I notice a red-brick building about four hundred feet. "No, you can't come here. It's too dangerous." I object, heading to the building, hoping to get there unnoticed.
I hear Bucky curse as I run, limping to what seems to be the only hope I have to get out of there alive. "Nova, where are you?" He probes.
My hands slip on the knob, struggling to force the door open. "Go get Nat. She's close." I grunt, finally getting inside of the building.
"Nova, turn on your position!" Bucky shouts, and I froze for a second.
He's going to get hurt while wandering around trying to find me.

"I lost my pad. I'm at the model boat sailing, at the right of to the pond." I sigh, giving up.
My legs shake a bit while I try to push a desk across the room, to make some kinda shield. 
I slowly get down on the floor, leaning against the hard wood. 
This would have never happened if I had my powers. I'm fucking useless like this.
Tiredness starts to make it hard to keep my eyes open, and I begin to feel very low on energy.