Rich People Shouldn't Be Smart

"The minute people fall in love, they become liars."
-Harlan Ellison

****

Nova's POV

"Rich people shouldn't be smart." I groan, boarding up the coffee shop door with tables.
"Who made your suit?" I hear Tony speaking through the comms, and I roll my eyes.
"Shut up. Tony. You can't call yourself smart." I scoff, looking around.
About twenty people are looking at me, terrified, hiding behind the counters.
"We have to take these people out through the back." Bucky urges, crouched down under the window.
"No shit Sherlock. How do you plan to do that without them getting killed?" I hear people whimper, hearing me. "Just kidding, fellas. No one is going to get killed." I announce, trying to reassure them.
"Tony, are you going to do something before dinner?" I ask, not getting any answer.
Of course, a crazy man had to release his wrath on the city on a beautiful Friday morning. What a great way to come back.
"Ok, I'm going out. I'll distract Wall-E, and you can bring these people down to the subway." I instruct, checking my ammo.
I look up, my eyes meeting Bucky's.
"You're not going out there alone. We wait for Tony." A window explodes, and I hide my face behind my arm.
"Not an option!" I shout, standing up and shooting at one of the androids aiming at us.
"Go, now!" Bucky sighs and runs to the other side of the shop.
I see the group of people starting to move out the back, scrambling for the exit, and I leap out of the window.
"Hey, Tin Man! Wanna dance?" I smirk, raising my gun.
I fire two shots, and it holds up his hand, blasting at me.
"Bucky, did you get them off the street?" I heave, hiding behind a car.
"Hold on," He grunts, and I hear metal colliding.
"Looks like you found some long-lost relatives." I chuckle, and I can picture his pissed expression.

"Almost there." He reports, and I take a deep breath.
I peer behind the car, and my breath hitches. "Shit," my feet move fast, running away from the car.
I hear a loud explosion and see the car on fire.
Two androids are following me, and I look up. "These fuckers fly too?" I say panting and running as fast as I can.
I turn left, and I see one of the androids launching a car at me and stop running, stumbling and falling.
Another android lands a few feet from me, and I use my powers to push him away, slamming it against a big truck.
I feel my heart pounding in my ears as I realize there are more of them coming towards me.
I see Bucky's metal hand through the chest of one of them, leaving a gaping hole.
He pushes it aside and helps me up, dragging me down the subway stairs.
"Where are the civilians?" I ask, leaning against the wall and trying to catch my breath.
"Down, they're ok," Bucky mutters, keeping his head up.
"No, they are not. I saw more going east. These things could use the tunnels to get us from behind." I sigh, walking underground.
"Tony, can you stop them or not?" I seethe, seeing how critical the situation actually is.
Some people are hurt. I don't know how seriously, but we have to get them help.
"Keep an eye on the stairs. I'll make sure they're ok to run." I whisper to Bucky, and he gives me a nod.

"Alright, who's hurt?" I sigh, scanning my eyes over the group of people.
"My wife is pregnant!" A man in a suit stands up.
Next to him, a woman sits holding her belly, her face worried.
"Is she hurt?" I ask, concerned.
"No, but she might get hurt." He states, and I stare at him.
"Good point. Thanks. Anyone else?" I ask, ignoring his scoff.
"My shoulder... I can't move it. " A guy whimpers. I walk to him, tearing apart his sleeve and noticing there's a deformity on his shoulder.
"Excuse me? Aren't you going to help my wife?" I roll my eyes, reminding myself to not be too rude.
"Sir, your wife isn't hurt. We are trying to keep everyone safe. Sit down, and let us do our job." I explain, trying to keep it down.
"Sit down? You should take us out of there!" The man fumes, pointing his finger at me.
I walk to him, staying a few feet from him.
"There's the exit, man. Do you wanna lead the way?" I taunt, staring at him.
I really want to punch him in the nose, but that wouldn't really be useful right now.
"Honey, just sit down." The pregnant woman whines.
"I'm not going to take orders from a chick who clearly doesn't know what she's doing." He scoffs, and I clench my jaw.
"Hey! Shut your mouth and sit your ass down, or I'll do it for you." Bucky shouts, giving him a death glare.