In Plain Sight

"Et tu, Brute?"
-William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

****

Bucky's POV

The silence around us feels unreal. Even the nature around us has gone quiet.
Nova stands a few feet in front of me, her chest rising and falling with each deep breath. 
Faye chants something in a language I don't understand, and a reddish light starts to grow in the space between us.
I start to feel tingling all over my body, and my eyes land on Nova.
She's keeping her eyes closed, getting enveloped in the red flow of energy. 

Nova's eyes snap open, she gasps for air, and in an instant, a blast of energy leaves her chest, hitting me.
I feel warmth spreading in my chest, and my breathing gets faster.
Suddenly everything stops, and I look for Nova, finding her bent forward, resting a hand on her chest.
I rush to her, grabbing her shoulders to keep her up. "Nova, you ok?"
She nods, moving her gaze to my face. "You're scared," she whispers, staring at me intently.

I swallow the lump in my throat, hesitating. "You're worried," I note, and Nova smiles lightly.
"Then I guess the spell worked." She chuckles, sighing in relief.
I pull her into my arms, trying to focus for the first time on this new feeling.
It's like having two heartbeats almost beating at the same time. "Stop feeling guilty, Nova." I mutter, and I can feel her body relax a bit in my arms.
"We should proceed with the ceremony." Faye chimes in, and Nova takes a step back from me.
"I'll be right here." I reassure her, stroking her cheek.
Amanda motions me to walk towards her, stepping to the side. 

"This spell is going to search your soul, and it will project outside what is stopping you from acceding the second part of the ritual." Faye begins to explain, putting the wooden box Amanda carried on a marble table in the middle of the temple.
He takes out a metal bowl, burning some herbs in it. "It's going to be your greatest fear, be careful and remember, you can beat it. You're in control." He instructs, hovering his hand over the bowl as a white light sparkles between his fingers. 

Nova's fists clench and relax a few times in an attempt to calm herself. "Got it." She utters, giving me a quick glance.
My stomach feels tight with anxiety, and I can't tell how much of it is actually from Nova.
Faye walks to Nova, his fist full of ashes, and she closes her eyes as he pours them on her face, starting the spell.
He walks back, stopping next to Amanda and Theo. "Do it," he says, and Amanda steps forward.
Her hand rises in front of Nova, sending golden energy through her body.

The wind rushes, bringing dead leaves and dust to circle the temple, gradually darkening the sky.
I can barely see Nova when a sharp pain in my head makes my legs go weak.
A wave of fear hits me, and I cast my eyes to Nova, trying to focus only on her.
I can see her figure stumbling and falling to her hands and knees. 
"Is this supposed to happen?" I overhear Theo wonder, and Faye's answer makes my blood freeze in my veins. "No."

A muffled scream gets to me, and my breath hitches when I begin to struggle to feel Nova.
"You have to stop this." I urge, staring at Amanda.
None of them move an inch, and I force myself up, gritting my teeth. "Faye, we're losing her. I can feel it." Panic takes over, making my voice break.
He shakes his head, his eyes glued to the mess in front of us. "She can take it. Her powers are going to keep her alive." He utters, keeping his voice loud enough to be heard over the blowing wind.
"She doesn't have her powers! Stop the spell!" I shout angrily.

His head snaps to the side, finding Amanda walking towards Nova.
She gets dragged back by an invisible force, hitting the wall with her head. "You can't stop this if she doesn't come back." He seethes, staring at her.
"She's going to die!" She yells, and Theo holds her back.
The pain disappears from my head, and my heart sinks. Why did it stop?
I keep trying to focus, hoping to get any sign back, but nothing. "Please, Nova." I whisper, my eyes burning as the wind begins to slowly calm down, showing her lying on the ground.