Chapter 24. Life Transitions to Water

"Holy crap!"

Sadie was close to calling all the saints as she felt the car she was in flying into oblivion. Gunshots kept on firing at them and it may be because the gunman is a lousy aimer or Jaden's just darn good at evading.

"What the fuck is happening, Jaden?"

She doesn't care what their situation is right now. All she needed was some answers. Sadie's already frustrated with all the happenings this day and tonight does not give her any relief at her confusions at all.

"Jaden?!"

"Shut it, Sadie!" the guy practically screamed at her, and there, she finally had no words to retort. The loud banging continuously kept on coming, filling the empty streets with enough noise. They were already at the road near the mountain so less houses were at the vicinity and Sadie kept on ducking while Jaden emotionlessly drove the car like a professional.

Using one hand, the guy placed half of his upper body outside the window and fired multiple shots to whoever was trying to kill them. It wasn't one. There were two of them. Jaden wanted to curse and kept on firing. As soon as he was able to put a headshot on the driver, he didn't know that the gunman also managed to put an effective shot at theirs.

"Shit!"

"What?!"

Almost instantly, Sadie felt her body wobbling and rocking up and down. It seems like the gunman was able to put a bullet at one of the vehicle's tires before the car they were in soon disappeared and crashed somewhere else. Sadie saw Jaden's deep gaze as he focused on maneuvering the vehicle and her heart beat increased when multiple string of curses came out of his mouth while his right foot kept on pressing the brakes. It wasn't working. The car suddenly swerved left and right and it soon drove forward over the cliff which made them roll continuously on the dark and steep land.

Sadie felt a warm hand gripping hers tightly before she felt the car tripping over and felt a crash along with a loud bang.

–––—

Silence.

The place was filled with an eery silence and a smoke surrounded the damaged vehicle. There was no one aside from them and a view of a faint light from up the street they have fallen in was the only thing visible from the pitch black area. The gunman was nowhere in sight and all Sadie can hear was a loud high pitched ring. It was until she heard a lot of screeching noises of metal being taken away until her eyes squinted at the blinding light beside her.

"Sadie? Sadie!"

Sadie's mind was too hazy to understand what is happening around her. All she saw was a blurry face of Jaden with blood trickling beside his forehead and a smell of what seems like fire all around them.

"Jaden?" she called out yet it seemed like it was merely a mumble.

"Don't move, okay? I'm here."

A few minutes later and Sadie felt like she was hoisted up and floating in the air. The only thing keeping her grounded on reality is the strong grip of two hands placed on her left arm.

Why is this happening to me?

Her life was so peaceful before. Before Jaden and Sabina appeared. She was okay living in her own kingdom. Then everything seemed to have turned for the worst.

Was it because of her selfish plan to make Daniel hers?

Sadie sighed lightly and stared sleepily at the dark sky.

As her eyes slowly closed, her sight turned to mere blur and the only sound that gave her comfort was the guy's ragged breathing before everything became black once more.