8. Deep dives

Arnav was walking down the stairs, half running, half stumbling. That is how Devyani Raizada, his nani, noticed him that night. Her old eyes hadn't missed an awkward aura around her grandson and his new bride. But she had thought things will fall in place on their own.

Evidently, they had not. And thus, it was time to step in.

--*--

"Chote, kaha ja rahe hai aap?" she called him out. But Arnav didn't hear anything, walking past her.

It was finally when she walked closer to him and patted his shoulder that he realized his nani was around

'Nani, aap? Why aren't you asleep yet? Are you ok?" he asked surprised, also trying to hide his own disturbed mind and spoilt mood

"chote, in case you didn't notice, its barely 9 pm and we all haven't even had dinner yet. We were waiting for you and Khushi bitiya. Chalo khana kha le?" she knew he will make an excuse, but she was not going to give up, not today.

"nahi nani, aap log kha lo. I have some work; I am going out" Arnav almost made a turn to walk away but Nani again stopped him

"chote, before that, can you to my room? I want to show you something important."

--*--

Arnav looked on curiously as his Nani took out an old envelope from the cupboard and handed him what looked an old photograph.

Arnav kept staring at the photo dumbfounded.

"Nani ye sab kya? How's it possible?" he could not believe his eyes. It was his father and a lady who resembled khushi's amma?

"It's a bitter truth Arnav. Sit down, you'll need patience to hear this" she called him by his name only when there was a very serious talk, which was happening now

"What truth?" he didn't understand a thing. Were Khushi's Amma and his father old acquaintances? Afterall posing for a photo didn't mean anything. Right? He desperately wanted it to be that. Just old friendship. But then he remembered khushi's words from earlier, along the same lines. And he braced himself to hear what nani was going to share.

"Chote, I will tell you everything, but I need you to listen to me very carefully from now until I finish my talk. Please don't overreact and try to listen all this with a mature mind, which I am counting on that you have." Devyani Raizada decided to share some long kept dark secrets with her grandson, once and for all. There was a reason they had kept them hidden till now but his marriage was at stakes now.

Seeing his silent approval, she continued

"Ratna, your mother and my eldest child, was a kindhearted but emotional soul. Growing up, she only had one dream, raise her own family. So when your father's alliance came for her, a then-17-years-old Ratna happily agreed, even when me and your grandfather were apprehensive. We wanted our children to get education and have their own standing, something your grandfather and I lacked. Marriage could wait. But seeing her happiness we gave in. Within a year Anjali was born and we thought things were perfect for our daughter in her family. Only they were not" Nani took a deep sigh here.

Arnav had heard his mama ji, his nani talk about his mother often but never did they talk about how her married life with his father was or what circumstances led to their marriage.

Nani continued, "your father was a gentleman, and he had dreams Chote. He wanted to expand your family business outside India and settle abroad. That was one of the reasons there were often clashes between Ratna and him. He was frustrated with your mom's stubbornness to neither have her own dreams outside the family nor support his. Around the same time, you were born. And for a few years your father seemingly put everything behind. But dreams seldom die like that, hai na chote?" Nani asked with a faraway look in her eyes.

At this point Arnav was sure of one thing, there were things about his parents' marriage that he was unaware of. His childhood memories of his parents were vivid, but they included mostly peaceful interactions between them. He hardly recollected them fighting. At least until few years before his di's first wedding preparations. So he asked impatiently, "fir kya hua Nani?"

Nani smiled. "fir aapke babuji ko unke sapne puray karne ki prerna mili. I am not very sure how exactly and when exactly she came in his life, but it was around Anjali's sixteenth birthday. Ratna had raised Anjali much like her, so even after being born in a family where dreams of education and career were supported and cherished, all Anjali was interested was in getting married as soon as she turned 18" Nani sighed, and Arnav realized the conversation was steering to the crucial point in his family's history.

--*--

Khushi did not know for how long she sat like that. But after some time even the tears dried down.

Holding her throbbing head in her hands, Khushi recollected what had transpired in this room an hour ago.

He was angry, she was angry, words were exchanged. And in that, she disclosed some truths she should not have! She was not supposed to tell him how she hated him! She was not supposed to tell him about her Amma and his babuji.

The only solace was she did not disclose her intention to destroy his reputation and business and about shyam's involvement.

So did that mean they still had some chance to take the ruins of their plan? Or should she just go away from all this mess that she had created? Was justice more important than peace of her mind?

Just as she was thinking about possibilities, her phone rang. She looked at the called ID with a frown and picked up,

"Khushi bitiya, Shital has got panic attack again. She is being hysterical. We are so scared bitiya. We are taking her to the hospital"

And just like that, Khushi realized quitting her plan was not even an option, she had to bring justice to not only her Amma but some other victims of that man's crimes!

--*--

A/N – Yes, Nani knows. And I always thought Arnav's father was not a philandering man, he probably was only smitten with Garima. The show also didn't hint at Garima and him being in physical relationship, did they? So we'll build on that.

And Khushi is a victim of an intelligently orchestrated plan of someone. She is brainwashed to believe that Arnav is something he is not. So lets give her time to see things through. She will, I promise but give it time. That's the story about, right?

As always, reviews are welcome and votes highly appreciated 😇