S3 - chapter 12

After Arnav's dramatic confession at Delhi Airport, Arnav, Khushi and Prem returned to Raizada mansion only to see everyone else in the hall waiting for them with anxiety visible on Nani's face.

"Chote, thank God you are fine. We were so worried when you left like that." Anjali was quick to show her concern,

Khushi however was looking at Shital with pointed gaze.

"I am ok Di, Khushi and Prem were going to Mumbai for their ad shoot, but they missed their flight because of me." Arnav shared only minimal details, not in a mood to talk to anyone else and in a hurry to go their room so he can talk to Khushi in privacy. He still had a lot to explain.

"Oh. I thought you were leaving house or something." Shital said smirking evilly. And she once again summoned her own ill-fate!

"Not at all shitalji. Ghar toh mehman chodkar jate hain, maalik nahi (Guests leave the house, not the owners)." Khushi's subtle insult hit its mark as even mamiji chuckled and nani looked on proudly at her. Khushi continued looking straight at Shital, "and that reminds me, why are you still here? Did I not tell you to pack your bag?"

Shital's face got ashen.

"khushiji, wait. I told her to stay." Anjali announced to save Shital, "She still doesn't have a house, so I thought-"

Khushi didn't wait to hear more and left from there, followed by Arnav who didn't spare a glance to Shital or Anjali.

--*--

Khushi shook her head in disappointment as Arnav confessed how he was only pretending to flatter shital because he was irked with Khushi's mistrust on him. And when he told her how he had even asked Shital to help him, Khushi's eyes flashed in anger.

"I shouldn't have done that, Khushi. you know I didn't mean all that." Arnav tried to justify looking at her expressions. They were standing in the center of the room, him holding her hands in a light hold. But she brushed off his hands after hearing that.

"No, I don't know." she said removing his hands from her arms, "how would I know? Did you ever think how I would have felt when you were openly flirting with her, reminiscing your college friendship or whatever that was? And aarav? Do you know how I felt, when Anjali di and mamiji kept comparing aarav with you?" her voice had an edge towards the end, still showing hurt and anger. He cupped her face, which she still tried to get away from and he crushed her protests by holding her firmly, like always, albeit with an intention to coax.

"I am sorry khushi. But now listen to me. Yes, I and shital dated for a while in Harvard but it was nothing that will result in a child, trust me. In fact, she was the one who pursued me for a date first and then we went out for a few times." he said in a breath. A truth that should have come out long ago, ideally on the day when he got to know how she was affected and thus did that DNA test. He was late in confiding with her, but he hoped it still mattered...

Hearing what she was probably always hoping to hear, brought a huge relief to Khushi. And seeing her features soften, her anger slowly fading away, Arnav loosened his grip too. But now he had a few questions as well,

"So, hold on, Prem wasn't a part of your plan or your - erm- real boyfriend, neither you were planning to use him to make me jealous? And nani also was with you? What exactly were you up to?" He asked, although even mentioning about his fear that Prem was her boyfriend was tough for him. Khushi smiled hearing his questions. He needed to know a lot too. Although she had been telling him time to time, maybe a revision of sorts!

"Arnavji, meeting Prem was a mere coincidence, a good one no doubt. But after that basketball match, nani and I had talked about this. One thing nani made me see was this is my house; this is my marriage, and you are mine. And khushi kumari gupta Singh Raizada doesn't give away her things in charity! So, there was no question of leaving this house or you! But at the same time, what I want to do is find out my own likings, my own dreams." she confessed. Yes, she was not planning to leave Arnav, but she wasn't planning center her life around him either... Arnav once again fell more in love with her, if that was possible, hearing her.