9. Skeletons in the closet

Arnav was settled on the ground near his nani's feet, as she sat on bed with a faraway look. As if she was reliving those memories from more than 15 years ago

"Your babuji was an ambitious man yet he tried to put those on the back of his mind for his family, chote. And his efforts were not hidden from us. Though Ratna was my own child I will be lying if I said she was a perfect life partner for your babuji. She was doting, loved your babuji and you two more than her life but she did not realize that her love suffocated your father.

And that was when he met a woman, who brought back his vigor for life. I am not very sure about when and how they met but I clearly remember hearing about her first on Anjali's 16th birthday. Anjali was an avid reader and that is how your father mentioned about his new employee to his daughter. We all were seated on the dinner table and he kept talking about her. Although he introduced her as a mere acquaintance who also liked reading, I did not miss the twinkle in his eyes at her mention. Ratna asked him to invite her home but he denied saying he didn't invite his staff at home. I found it weird and could sense my son-in-law was probably walking on a wrong path and tried to talk to ratna about it later, but she brushed it off saying she loved her husband enough for him to look for a companion in other woman!

How I regret not correcting her that time. Or not confronting your father. My poor daughter thought only love was enough to be a good wife, but she did not understand one had to be a friend, a patient listener, and a strong support to their life partner's dream! And your father was wrong about never talking to her openly about it and instead seeking it outside.

I had completely forgotten about this until Anjali's wedding 2 years later. I remember how upset your father was that Anjali had decided to get married so hastily. The groom was ratna's friend's son however the family was quite regressive from what we had seen throughout the rituals. But thinking that Ratna knew the family well, we ignored it.

We did not know the wedding would get cancelled by itself and due to such a horrible incident!" at this point nani's lips were quivering, obviously remembering the horrific death of her daughter and son-in-law

--*--

Khushi was waiting in their regular meeting spot, on the terrace. She was sure Shyam ji would be angry on her, but he had to be alerted.

The call was from shital's mother. Shital was her friend from Lucknow, a few years older but they had been neighbors for a brief time and her family knew Khushi well. But they were quite rich and progressive, after all they sent Shital to America for further studies. They had also helped her babuji financially when their shop suffered losses in its initial days. Khushi and the whole Gupta family felt grateful to them. But then Shital returned from the US completely depressed. Apparently, a man had played with her during her stay there and she could not take it well.

Khushi's blood boiled seeing how shital's parents became miserable seeing her like that. She got to know the name of the man, 'Arnav Singh Riazada' and coincidentally around the same time, her Amma mentioned about her past to her one night. Mentioning how Malik-Raizada's were a nice bunch of people, how she met Mr. Arvind malik and how he didn't tell her about his marital status until very late. And then how he and his wife committed suicide. She also mentioned their 2 kids who apparently were adopted by Raizada family. Her Amma wanted to share her dark secret with her but that only made her resolve to seek revenge from Arnav Raizada, stronger! He was his father's son after all. Playing with a girl's emotions!

However after this evening, she wasn't sure how much of their plan could still be salvaged.

Just then she saw Shyam come to the terrace.

--*--

Arnav kept his hand on her leg, shooting her. It was too much to take for him too

Till now, he had only thought about his father being a culprit and the other woman. However what circumstances were and what exactly had happened was unknown to him until now