Chapter 17: Fire vs. Lightning

Cinder rushes towards Falke as she uses her Maiden powers to allow her to fly, summoning two blades made of glass. She slashes with her blades, but Falke seems to teleport as he dodges her attacks with little effort. She continues to slash at Falke but still misses as he simply dodges her attacks.

Cinder: "Dodge this!" Throwing her hands forward, releasing a torrent of flames that engulfed the area in front of her. As the flames clear, she sees no sign of the swordsman. "Hah...that'll show him."

Vergil/Falke: "Congratulations, you managed to not only subvert my expectations, but you managed to surprise me on how inefficient you are as an opponent." Cinder turns around to see Falke standing a couple of feet away without a single sign of damage on him. "Truly, you are sub-par to that of previous Maidens. Care to try again? I might even go a bit slower so you can see just how out-classed you are."

Cinder roars in anger as she flies up in the air and begins raining down fireball after fireball at Falke. Then, shaking his head, he summons a floating blade to shoot into the fireballs, countering them entirely. But Cinder ever-persistent keeps throwing fireballs to no effect, as a single summoned blade disperses each one.

Cinder: "Why! Won't! You! Die!"

Vergil/Falke: "Because this power you 'think' you have means nothing, in the face of real power. Observe." He takes a stance low to the ground as his hand is gripped on the handle of the Yamato. He quickly unsheathes and sheathes the blade. As it clicks into the sheath, blue slashes of energy appear around Cinder as she screams in pain, being sent plummeting to the ground.

Cinder picks herself up and sees Falke looking down at her with disdain in his glowing blue eyes. Looking around, she sees the Winter maiden, a girl named Penny, holding the Spear of Creation. Flying herself up, she begins to throw daggers at Falke, who summons his blades to break the daggers before they can hit him. Unfortunately, he sees her aim with the daggers getting worse as some of them aren't even landing near him.

Vergil/Falke: "It seems you don't know when to quit. You might as well be throwing with your eyes closed. At least then you'd be able to hit me."

Cinder: "You think I was aiming for you? I was just keeping your attention."

Ruby: "Penny! No!" Falke turned to see that the girl who was holding the Spear of Creation had one of the daggers lodged in her chest.

Falke (mental): "Dammit! Vergil, finish this now!"

Vergil, who is currently possessing Fallke's body, turns to face Cinder with a cold, deathly glare in his eyes.

Cinder: "Aww, did I hurt your feelings? You aren't the center of my world, little huntsman."

Before she can gloat further, Falke is gone as he appears behind her mid-air. As the sound of the sheathed blade hits her ear, so do the blue slashes as her body is sent flying towards the ground. But Falke is already there as he again hits her with the blue slashes. He would repeat this process, Cinder screaming in pain with each hit from his attacks. As she finally crashes down to the ground, Falke appears in front of her.

Vergil/Falke: "You made a grave mistake not taking me seriously. I know you are still questioning what just happened to you, so I'll explain. What you just experienced was a single judgment cut, an attack that sends a flurry of slashes through reality to a target I choose. That was just a single attack that I can perform with zero effort, and you think that your power even results in me trying to fight you, pathetic."

As Cinder struggles to stand up, she releases all of her anger and fire in a gigantic wave of fire in front of her, engulfing Falke. She continues to keep releasing flames as she screams in rage at being made a fool of. But her screams stop as a clawed hand clamps around he throat, stopping the flames abruptly. Her eyes widen in fear as a large beast-like creature is lifting her off the ground by her throat. As she struggles to breathe, the creature before her begins to speak, its voice like thunder.

Demon/Vergil/Falke: "Foolishness...you claim to have power, but all you have done is seal your death." As his grip tightens, Falke feels the energy of the Winter Maiden from one of the portals but looking back over to Penny, he sees that she is, in fact, dead, also spotting Neo running towards the same portal with the Spear.

Not letting go of Cinder, he unfurls his wings as he launches himself towards Neo. Neo turns in shock as Falke throws Cinder into her and snatches the Spear as they go through the portal. On the other side of the portal, Winter was floating over a defeated Ironwood as Penny had passed the maiden powers to her in her last moments.

She sees both Cinder and Neo go flying by from the portal as they slide across the floor. Out from the portal also flys out Falke in his Demon form. Landing in front of the portal, Winter takes a battle stance as the large creature begins to transform in a flash of light, revealing Falke with the Yamato and the Spear of Creation in his hands.

Falke: "Hey, sis. I see you are the new Winter Maiden...heh. Winter, the Winter Maiden, pretty neat coincidence."

Winter: "Falke? Is that really you?"

Falke: "Yeah, I know, wardrobe change always confuses everyone. Anyway, I had to deal with these two stowaways taking the Relic. It looks like everything is handled here."

Winter: "Well...I...it is nice to see you again...brother." Composing herself as she sheathes her rapier. "That's a fine-looking blade you have in your hands, and I see you retrieved the Spear."

Vergil (mental): " 'Fine-looking'! I now want to destroy this child."

Falke: "Well, shall we?" Gesturing towards the portal as the two begin walking through, a voice causes the two to halt.

Salem: "It seems you are the one I have to thank for finding the missing blade...oh, Child Of Omens."