So Live A Lie, Just Tonight, And Burn Out Bright

"Alright, easy sis, easy," he worried, watching her carefully for signs of pain flickering across her face as he helped her off the bike.

She scowled, managing to drag her injured leg forward. "Quit nagging. I'm—nghfine."

"You're on emergency oxycodone and you've got a broken femur," he retorted. "I'm nagging until you're in surgery."

"Ugh, stop reminding me."

Someone hauled her off her feet with a quiet, "I've got you."

She grunted in pain laying on the gurney. "Thanks, dad."

"Miss Wayne, are you alright?"

Her eyes found Alfred's. "I'm good. I just ne—motherfucker!" she yelped, glaring at her father who was squeezing her thigh. "Hey! That's broken, jackass! Quit!"

Bruce grunted. "You need an ORIF now."

A pinch in her arm made her twitch and she turned her attention to Alfred who was uncapping a needle. "Alfred, what's that?"

He shook his head. "Nothing to worry about, Miss Wayne." Smiling, he stuck the needle into the line. "You'll feel better when you awaken."

Her vision blurred rapidly, "Gonna take...a nap...now..." her head lolled, and Bruce met Alfred's gaze.

"Call Damian. He's got the steady hand we'll need."

***

"How're you feeling?" Jason asked, setting a cup of juice on the bedside table.

She blinked slowly, staring at her fingers. "Why are my fingers like this?"

"Like what, Queenie?"

"Bendy," she replied, flexing her fingers. "It's fuckin' weird." She looked at him. "I feel weird."

He snorted, nodding at Dick and the others who were walking in at the sound of her voice. "You're on hydromorphone, sis."

"Hydro—what-what?"

"Hydromorphone, sister," Damian said. "It has increased your threshold for pain and reduced the perception of it."

She stared at him like she hadn't heard a word come out of his mouth. "I didn't understand a single goddamn word that you just said."

Snickers sounded around her, but her head was up in the clouds and she rested back against her pillow. Her family gathered around her, sitting up on the bed, and suddenly she cocked her head up, squinting at each of them.

"Sweetheart? What's wrong?" Bruce inquired.

"Where's Dick?"

"I'm right here, sis," he answered, pressing a kiss to the back of her hand. "What's up?"

"Why'd you break up with Kori?"

His eyes widened. "I—what?"

"Kori. Tall alien with the shooty-hands."

"I know who she is. What about our breakup?"

"Are you kidding me? That woman is spectacular, and you broke up with her. She's gorgeous, wicked intelligent, fantastic in bed and—"

"Wait, back up there," he interrupted. "Good in bed? Did you sleep with, Kori?"

"Oh yeah, totally. I was her rebound after you."

Dick blinked while the others cackled. "Have you...have you slept with any other exes?"

"Of yours? Or in general with the family's exes?"