A Tale Of Two Todds

The door to the apartment slammed open, hitting the wall with a shattering crack, then shut just as hard; it startled her from the table she'd been sitting at, and her pen jerked across the page, creating a giant blue line. She looked down at it then back up to the door, seeing her brother come in. "Jason! You made me mess up!" He glanced at her as he held the bags to his chest, giving her a sympathetic look.

"Sorry sis. I was in a hurry." She rose from the table and made her way around it, walking up to him and peering in the bags.

"What did you get?" Jason walked past her and set them on the table, unloading them.

"Basic sandwich supplies...some bananas..." He paused and held up a notebook and a pen. "And I swiped you a new journal and pen." Her eyes lit up at them and she took them from him, then reached over and gave him a hug.

"Thanks Jason!" He patted her back and let go, moving the items to the pantry.

"This should last us about two weeks. Three if we stretch it out." He turned to her. "Did you have any luck today (Y/N)?" She nodded and set down the notebook and walked beside him.

"Mrs. Allen from down the block gave me a twenty for doing her laundry and housework." She pulled the bill from her pocket and handed it to him. "I figure tomorrow we can go to the thrift shop and buy some new clothes." Jason nodded, taking it from her and shoving it in his vest pocket.

"If we can sell some more tires, we'll have more money to spend." This made (Y/N) pause, and she brought her hands together.

"Jason, I don't know if we should keep doing that...it's dangerous...and we could get in serious trouble, not to mention killed if we boost the wrong car." He sighed at her apprehension and rested a hand on her shoulder.

"We don't have any choice (Y/N). If we don't get money, we'll starve."

"But we could get help."

"From who? GCPD? They won't help us. And DCS won't either." Jason paused and squeezed her shoulder. "We're all we have sis. We gotta stick together." (Y/N) blinked at him, then sighed and nodded.

"...Alright...but we need to be careful. I've heard that Batman is starting to crack down on criminals in the East End District." Jason laughed and pulled away from her, walking to the table.

"Batman isn't going to arrest two kids (Y/N). We aren't big enough fish for him." (Y/N) watched him for a few moments before turning to the pantry.

"It's almost time for dinner." She faced him again. "Want a sandwich?"

Later That Night:

"Jason this isn't a good idea." He sighed for what seemed like the thousandth time and halted the tire iron.

"I'm aware this isn't a good idea (Y/N). But it's an idea, and we're doing it." She looked around nervously and back to her brother.

"He's going to find us."

"Not if you keep yapping about it."

"Don't be a jerk Jason."

"Then stop being a baby." (Y/N) reached over and shoved his shoulder; he fell to the side then faced her, glaring at her. "What's the big idea?!" (Y/N) held a finger to her lips and whispered,

"Do you want him to hear us?! Shut up!" Jason waved her off and went back to the tire.

"Just keep a lookout, will you? What Batman doesn't know, won't kill him." (Y/N) groaned but kept looking. After a few minutes, Jason popped the hubcap and started working on the bolts; (Y/N) felt the nerves creep on her again and she whispered,