The Flying Grayson's Sole Survivors

"Mom, I'm with Dickie on this. Your costumes are really...bright." She paused and looked down at hers, tugging at the pants. "And why is my suit different from yours?" Mary laughed at her eldest's words and patted her head.

"That's because I wanted Dick's costume to represent a little robin." (Y/N) gave a sarcastic smile and said,

"Thanks mom...but the costume is still super bright...and still doesn't explain why mine is different from yours." A warm hand rested on her shoulder, and (Y/N) glanced up, seeing her father look down at her.

"I'm with your mother on this (Y/N). You and Dick look great in the new uniforms."

"Thanks dad. It's appreciated." He smiled, and Dick walked up beside (Y/N).

"So, if I'm a little robin, what are you sis?" (Y/N) glanced down at Dick and reached over, ruffling his hair.

"Not a robin, that's for sure." Mary laughed again and reached on the table, opening a little box and pulling out a silver chain.

"You aren't a robin (Y/N)." Mary held up the chain revealing a small bird charm sitting at the end. "You're my little nightingale." She reached over and clasped the chain around (Y/N)'s neck, watching as (Y/N) thumbed the charm.

"...Thanks mom."

"Always sweetheart." The sound of the bell echoed through the tent and Mary and John looked at each other before looking at their kids. "Show time kiddos. Let's go." (Y/N) and Dick followed after their parents, walking towards the main tent.

"Now remember (Y/N). Once your mother is swinging on my line, you have to grab her hands and bring her back. Got it?" (Y/N) rolled her eyes and nodded.

"I got it dad. We practiced this a thousand times." John chuckled and tapped her nose.

"And it only takes one mistake to cause a problem. You have to be sharp up there."

"I will dad. Don't worry." John smiled at her as they entered the tent, and they made their way up the pole.

A Few Minutes Later:

She stood on the platform, holding the trapeze in her hands. She could feel her heart hammer in her chest as she readied herself for the jump. She never learned to shake the nervous feeling, even when she hit the rush when she was in the air. "Are you alright sis? You look nervous." (Y/N) glanced over at Dick and grinned.

"I'm good Dickie. Just make sure you're ready when I come back with mom, alright?" He gave her a smile and nodded.

"Alright. I will. Be careful!" She waved as she hopped up, sliding her legs on the bar and locking her knees around it; she swung through the air, feeling the adrenaline pump through her veins as she neared her mother. Mary smiled at her and held out her hands; then, the sound of a snapping rope echoed through the air, and (Y/N) watched horrified as her mother began to sink. She shifted, reaching out and gripping Mary's hand, holding it in a death-grip. (Y/N) saw her father drop, but her eyes stayed on her mother. Her legs pulled from the weight, and she reached up with her other hand, holding the bar and sliding her legs from it. She looked at her mother in terror.

"Mom! Hang on!" Mary nodded, but (Y/N) could see the terror in her eyes; she tried to lift her mother, but to no avail, and the hand holding the bar began to slip. "Mom! I can't hold on much longer! You have to climb!" Mary took one look at Dick, who was watching horrified at the scene in front of him, then back to (Y/N), and smiled sadly.