Chapter 3

"You checked the room for cameras and mics?"

"Completely clear. Although I'm not sure if they hid any on Sakakura himself."

"You didn't check?"

"Of course not!"

"You're his friend, why not?"

"I can't bring myself to touch him alright?"

"At all?"

"Just do it!" Naegi sighed and gently touched Sakakura's chest. He began to thoroughly check his body for anything out of the ordinary.

"...Nothing."

"Ok good." They both sat near the hospital bed and leaned in.

"Remind me why we're speaking over him again?"

"Cause they'll think it's suspicious if we're just standing around!"

"You sure you just don't want to stay close to him?" Munakata glared at Makoto. "I'm kidding! Obviously!" He laughed awkwardly. Munakata sighed.

"I still can't believe I've done this."

"It's ok. We have a plan. I know you weren't on board with this whole rehabilitation thing, but it really is going to make the process a lot safer!"

"But there's still no guarantee it will work! And Yukizome is being released again!"

"I'm talking to Byakuya about Yukizome. But besides that, you're right. It may not work, but...'' Naegi looked down at the motionless body. "...well, we do need as many members of the high council back as we can."

"But what if we don't get him back??"

"Then they don't get Chisa. That was the agreement. And... I mean it seems to be working!"

"How? As far as I can see, it's done nothing but stop his decomposing!"

"...you really haven't touched him?"

"I have no right to." Naegi sighed. He suddenly grabbed Sakakura's hand closest to them, and Munakata's. He froze up as Naegi worked to flip Sakakura's hand, and form Munakata's hand to check his pulse. Munakata closed his eyes and winced as he made contact with his friend's skin. Skin that was once again warm. His eyes opened with a gasp as he felt a steady pulse as well.

"Impossible!" He pulled his hand away, but Naegi caught it.

"I know. I'm not sure either. But... he has a heartbeat.

"But he's not breathing! Don't the two go hand in hand?" Naegi shrugged.

"Again, I don't know. But he seems to be recovering nonetheless. I have no clue about Yukizome but..."

"I... this is ridiculous." He tried to pull his hand away again but Naegi held on still. He had flipped Sakakura's hand back over to the correct side. Then he placed Munakata's hand over it, trying to curl his fingers around the hand. "What are you doing??"

"Haven't you heard the stories? People in comas hearing and feeling things when they're asleep?"

"He's not in a coma! And most of those stories are made up!"

"But it's similar! And you never know, so just... Make sure he knows your here." Munakata snarled at him, but he stopped struggling and began gently holding his old friend's hand. Naegi stood up. "Alright. I'm going to meet with Byakuya. See you later?"

"...you think he can hear us too?"

"...maybe."

He could. And he wasn't happy.

-  -  -

"For the last time, I'm not coming!"

"Look dude, she's asking specifically for you! Don't you want to see how well our technology works?"

"I'm not interested in talking to her period!"

"You'll have to eventually!" Soda taunted.

"Why is she awake first?? She's been dead longer!"

"Cause she's our priority, duh. All the attention was on her. Your beloved will be up soon enough." Munakata snarled and quickly walked back to Sakakura's room. He slammed the door behind him before he walked over and grabbed Sakakura's hand. He was breathing by then, and it gave him... hope. That he really was returning to life... but he still felt it was incorrect. Munakata worked hard to focus on his friend and not his guilt. For if he did, he knew he would surely die before Sakakura woke up.