Chapter 14

Turns out Togami was right about the connection being complicated... Sleeping naturally wasn't at all connected. But when Sakakura was unnaturally knocked out, so was Yukizome. When she got hurt he felt the sting. But it didn't seem like it worked the other way around. It wasn't a big issue anyway. It was never the full intensity of pain, just a bit of a sting or pinch. It did become a slight problem for Sakakura when Yukizome had her period. He wasn't prepared for that. But within a day he had adjusted to it. He had been back at least a month, and the only time Munakata got to see him was for brief checkups. Not enough to actually talk. Except for one tiny conversation.

"Hey, you said we would talk when you got back."

"Oh...right."

"Are we gonna talk?"

"I'm sorry... not right now. There's been a lot to deal with recently."

"Right..." Munakata sighed and rocked gently in his swivel chair. It wasn't a lie, he had been busy. But he knew he was also avoiding it. The few breaks he had, he spent talking extra with Naegi. Not that he needed to. They had set up the neo world program cameras at Togami's area as well. But this time, it was head-on. Sakakura had been up and running by himself for a week. With Yukizome on constant guard and chained up, he had little issues related to her. He did manage to catch Munakata for a brief second in which he explained that they had begun rebalancing and testing all of their workers.

"I thought no one believed me."

"Well an arm doesn't just explode like that."

"... Thanks."

"You're welcome. Now let's work in finding that traitor." He had walked off again and actively avoided him since. But today was the last day he would be restricted from working. The last day being watched in a lab. As anxious as it made Munakata to let him go, if Sakakura was held back any longer while feeling better, he would break down. The day was already over and it was just a matter of time before he had to face the facts.

"Hey..." Munakata didn't turn around.

"Glad to see you feeling better."

"Yeah... means I get teh'... work with you again." Munakata let out a single breathy laugh.

"First thing you want to do when saved is work again?"

"I mean it's pretty much all I have left..." Munakata finally turned around. In response, Sakakura immediately looked down at the ground. Munakata sighed and stood up.

"...let's get going." He walked past his friend.

"Oh yeah... where are we going exactly?"

"Home."

"You mean our base that was absolutely demolished? No thanks."

"No. Temporary home. Provided by Togami like everything else. But a place a bit safer for those of us who are trusted."

"I see..." They were both quiet the rest of the walk. Munakata fighting himself on what to say. Only five minutes later did they reach the building. Munakata swiped a card and the door clicked open. They walked down a hallway and did the same thing to open another door.

"Here we are." He opened the door and turned on the light.

"Woah... This is the temporary home?"

"Yes."

"Does he even know what temporary means??"

"He's Togami. Gotta make the best of everything." Munakata began to unbutton his suit. Sakakura cleared his throat and looked around.