Chapter 13

"What are you doing here?"

"We returned from the operation."

"You said Naegi was gonna be back before you."

"And that was the plan before Yukizome breakdown. Now he's staying longer, because one of us three needed to stay, and I had to get back here in order to fix this mess."

"Yukizome's breakdown?" Togami took a sip of his tea without opening his eyes.

"Oh, you haven't been informed. Well I'm not the one to let you know."

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN-"

- - - - - -

"Kyosuke!" She looked up with a grin, still attached to the table. He said nothing as he sat across from her. "Is it true I'm going to a padded cell? I always wondered what they were like. Am I getting a straight jacket too? That's a little scary, but I'm always up for a new experience!" He wanted to smile and shout at the same time. To tell her to shut up. But he missed her... her false cheeriness almost made him want to quit. He sighed.

"What is your name?"

"Oh, are we doing an interrogation?"

"...yes." She giggled.

"Oh alright! But who's going to play good cop?"

"Name." He slammed the table with a growl. She continued to laugh.

"Alright alright! I am Chisa Yukizome. Former teacher of Hopes peak high and current member of the future foundation... or so I'd like to think." He ignored her inquiry.

"Do you know why you're here?"

"Presumably because I banged my head on a wall enough to knock me out!"

"...yes..."

"What about it?"

"...what is your goal?

"Mh..." she leaned in as close as possible to him. "Why don't you tell me?"

"...I think you were trying to kill yourself."

"Very good!" She spoke like an overly enthusiastic kindergarten teacher. "Anything else?"

"I just don't understand why. After all the work your students went through to bring you back! It just doesn't make sense."

"Aw... just as hopeful as always." She sighed and leaned back as if in a daydream.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Why do you think they wanted me alive, Kyosuke?"

"I don't know. That's the whole point."

"Just think! I know deep down you know the answer! You just have to remember they can be a lot smarter than you give them credit for." They stared at each other for a minute. Yukizome as cheery and lovely as usual. Munakata searched her dead eyes for something to help.

"...they wanted to keep their numbers high... since so many have died. They couldn't risk losing another leader."

"Exactly! The sad truth though is that sometimes that little glimmer of hope still shines through them! So it's my job to make sure they crush it with despair!" Munakata snarled.

"You disgust me."

"Say, how's Juzo doing?" Munakata stopped at this, bringing the whole situation back to his mind.

"... Sakakura is fine."

"Well that's good and all, but how are the two of you doing?"

"...what?"